Beware of Google Maps

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Beware of Google Maps

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I love Google Maps. But I have found that there are numerous errors. The satallite photos do not lie, but beware that there are not dates of acquisition and two different data gathering time periods can appear next to each other. The road and trail features overdrawn, as well as the names of lakes, have more errors. I am now planning a trip in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming and the "continental divide route" shown on Google maps is absolutely absurd! I have no idea where they got the data from. I think what happens is that some route or trail location gets put out on the internet, nobody verifies it, and that false information is then simply grabbed by others and soon it is thought to be the "truth".
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Beware of Google Maps

Post by rlown »

all maps are suspect.. It's really about where you want to be and how you get there. As you said, the satellite images are the key.

complain to them (google maps). you're probably not alone for accuracy.

Russ
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I have noticed similar with Google Earth. I tend to ignore anything but the actual photo, as the roads and other features shown are sometimes way off.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

There is something funky with street view.

My 2005 Ford pickup is clearly visible in my driveway. I traded it in Oct 2008. Right next door is my neighbor's 2010 Subaru. The photo date is 2009. Very creative dating. :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=