Wolf OR7 Enters California

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wolf OR7 Enters California

Post by rlown »

Thought it was a good read about a very curious Gray wolf:
Media Contacts:
Mark Stopher, DFG Executive Office, (530) 225-2275
Jordan Traverso, DFG Communications, (916) 654-9937

The gray wolf that was wandering in southern Oregon has crossed the California border. According to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) this animal is a 2 ½ year old male formerly from a pack in northeast Oregon. Since the animal has been collared with a Global Positioning System (GPS) device that periodically transmits its location, biologists have been able to document its travels since it was collared in February 2011. Based on the GPS data, he is now more than 300 miles from where his journey began.
His journey, in total, has been more than twice that far with many changes in direction. Several times he has reversed direction and returned to previous locations. Today, the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) learned that this wolf, designated OR7, crossed the state line into northern Siskiyou County yesterday. Tracking data puts his most recent location as a few miles south of the Oregon border. It is not possible to predict his next movements which could include a return to Oregon.
DFG continues to collaborate with ODFW and expects to receive daily location data. This information is transmitted daily when atmospheric conditions permit. DFG will be sharing only general location information as this wolf, while in California, is protected as endangered under the Federal Endangered Species Act.
The full story at: http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/12/2 ... alifornia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: at first I thought someone fitted OldRanger with a GPS collar (finally) so we would know when he entered California. no dice.. :\
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Wolf OR7 Enters California

Post by oldranger »

Nice russ!

We have been following OR7 for several months now. There is even a contest in Oregon to give it a name. My son Matt thought "Pre" in honor of Oregon distance runner Steve Prefontain would be appropriate. But the contest is open only to younger Oregonians. The question is now that it is in California who really has naming rights? By the way there is an execution order out for OR7's father due his predilliction for beef. Currently there is a stay however due to some political nonsense.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I have been following the local newspapers take on the story. The individual articles are well balanced and present both sides. The editorials seem to be more anti, and the user posts for the articles are mixed, with the anti in a slight majority. The Cattleman's Association has taken a wait and see posture, with some local bar talk among the ranchers of passing the hat for a bounty.

I meant the local Nor Cal papers, not the Bee or Chronicle. You can guess their position without even bothering to look.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Still in the same general area for a couple weeks -- between Grasshopper & Madeline Plains. The area is a mix of eastside pine and juniper forest, with sagebrush steppes interspersed. The surrounding deer herds winter in the area, so speculation is he killed a deer (or found carrion) and is hanging out until the food is gone.

I read in the Bee some DFG spokesman said it is near Litchfield, where the last wolf was shot in CA. Trying to be clever with a tie-in. Not really close to Litchfield, the other end of the county. Closer to Alturas.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Some interesting rumors and bar-talk starting to go around. According to the gossip local ranchers have passed the hat and there is now a bounty on him. Don't know if it is true or not.

I am not sure why the ranchers are worried about him now. All the cattle are pastured or been trucked to winter range. There aren't any livestock in his area now. He may move on by Spring and any concerns will move away with him.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm thinking that the ranchers and some others are worried about the wolf being declared a resident or whatever the correct term would be. I don't know what criteria would have to be met before endangered species rules take over. I remember reading articles about mountain lion sightings back east and the impact it could have if they were ever confirmed.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the criteria is already met. He's here, and he's protected..

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/?s=OR7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still think we should put a collar on OldRanger.. :D
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

rlown wrote:the criteria is already met. He's here, and he's protected..

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/?s=OR7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still think we should put a collar on OldRanger.. :D
Thanks' rlown, I bet the folks that perform enviromental impact studies are staying up nights plotting things like "home range" and figuring out how many thousands of acers they can redline.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ

Respectfully, FU! :moon:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:p