HST High Sierra Map

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

HST High Sierra Map

Post by richlong8 »

I wanted to take a moment to express appreciation for the HST Map. What a great tool! One of the things that makes this site truly exceptional. Many thanks and kudos for a job well done.

richard
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: HST High Sierra Map

Post by copeg »

Glad you like it Richard :thumbsup: It was a great group effort between several folks that included a lot of planning, writing code, data input, discussion, a childish tantrum on my part, testing, a few beers, more testing, and then more beers. Glad to see its getting some use!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Yes, good job all around.

One question: maybe I'm just really dense, but I don't see a link to the map in any obvious place on the boards. Is there a link I'm missing? Or if not, would it maybe be worth adding a prominent link?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I love the thing. It makes looking for the named cross country passes much easier.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Tom and Rogue.

Tom, not dense at all. There was an announcement in the forums a while back, but links have yet to be set up across HST. Russ mentioned this recently as well, and we are working at getting these set up, but so much to do and so little time. Initially we didn't set these up to make sure everything was working properly, then it dropped off the radar
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I find the information about passes a great resource. Many passes have useful descriptions found only here.

The option to show 7.5' USGS Topo Map quadrangle boundaries and names if very convenient when looking for the right maps to download from TopoQuest to Topos2Go app.

Also, the topo layer used here from ArcGIS is better than MyTopo when one zooms out of the closest zoom level - it uses clear 15' maps then instead of shrunken 7.5' maps which are not very readable after shrinking.
jmac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jmac »

Awesome! I love this so much. I am a GIS student and I have been playing around with the idea of creating something similar to this for my friends and I before our trips. Looks like you have us covered in the Sierra's now! It was so cool to see this. I plan on doing something similar to this for my final project this semester for one of my local mountains. Good job! Thank you for a great resource.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I also wanted to thank you for the HST map. I have been using it to help plan cross country loop hikes for next summer. After doing the JMT last summer I've been totally focused on the SHR and finding the best short cuts into Evolution and Ionian Basins for next season. Trails are a thing of the past. Thanks again!!!