Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Post by hikin_jim »

Sure, you can run your alcohol stove on methanol. That's what comes in a yellow bottle of HEET. I mean it's cheap and available and all -- but it doesn't have as much heat content as ethanol. In other words, you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

OK, so I can get more heat from ethanol than methanol, great, but alcohols with high ethanol content tend to be more expensive. Just how much weight can I save? In other words, Is Ethanol Worth It?

Join me on today's Adventure in Stoving as we "do the numbers" on ethanol.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Post by rlown »

Can I ask how many here use alcohol stoves? And do you consider yourself UL?

Just asking.. I like the discussion about the stoves, and potential use, but If I'm not seeing it, then.. (you fill this part in)
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

rlown wrote:Can I ask how many here use alcohol stoves? And do you consider yourself UL?

Just asking.. I like the discussion about the stoves, and potential use, but If I'm not seeing it, then.. (you fill this part in)
Unfortunately, there's not that much traffic on the HST gear forum. Shame, actually since it's really a nice forum.

So, is your thinking that most people are using canister gas stoves?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I used to be canister stove freak. First a GAZ bluet i bought in Paris. It was perfect for traveling around Europe and did well in the Sierra, but it was stolen. The GAZ replacement I bought was a plastic piece of crap; it took forever for just one cup of water to boil. I almost threw into a wild river one night as I froze my ass off waiting for boil, but I hiked it out and junked it. Then the MSR pocket rocket-- GAZ on steroids. Beautiful stove. I loved it until it sputtered on a freezing cold morning in the Ionian Basin. I still have it, but have never liked the idea of hiking in a bunch of canisters and then hiking out the empties and adding them to the landfill. So now I've been using alcohol stoves, and will never go back, they are cheap, the fuel(Klean strip green) is easy to find and better for the environment. I find that if you understand how they work and protect the flame from the wind, just as you would a canister stove, they perform very well. I have tested them in snowy, windy conditions and they perform as well if not more reliable than the pocket rocket. I know there are a lot of alcohol stove naysayers out there, but I don't care----I love my tricked out mini Tranga. I haven't used HEET, not sure how green it is, but find just regular hardware denatured works very well.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Tried more than a few stoves over the years -
MSR Simmer-lite - Thought it sort of sucked. (After a large fireball, left it in Tuolumne. It was gone in 10 minutes - sucker!)
Then a MSR XG - Still have it somewhere - a great "group" stove or for winter use -
Hank Roberts canister - thought it was great, way back then - discontinued but lite - hard to find canisters.
SVEA for a while - dependable but leaky and messy.
Made a few different alcohol/ethanol models, bought a few more on eBay - Gave them a good try but just not my type of camping stove. I like to cook.

Now, as a solo mostly and a devoted fisherman, usually rely on the MSR Windpro - canister. Best stove found so far for instant gratification, simmering ability, stability, and enough juice to fry fish.
I can see the benefits of alcohol for short 2 - 3 day trips where fishing is not part of the equation (and you are moving fast), but (as I do not move fast anymore) prefer the Windpro as it gets me through my typical 8 - 10 day Sierra adventures with 1 1/2 canisters.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

rlown wrote:Can I ask how many here use alcohol stoves?
It should be 100%. Unless you're planning on "cooking", as opposed to simply boiling water, there really isn't any substitute. The weight, convenience (+1 to simple Home Depot denatured alcohol) and **safety** can't be beat.

I mean, the burner itself weighs under 1 oz and is about the size of a shot glass. Being able to use any old leftover disposable water bottle as a fuel container is a big advantage over pressurized gas.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i admit, I'm on the cooking side of the house. I'll stick with the weight. i'm a white gas guy.. my two fuel containers have been reused endlessly. One since '76 and the other since '82.

I know this is off the topic, but I also know a few here who are canister fans. And, they don't know what to do with the 1/4 leftovers they come out with. I've seen a closet full of questionable canisters, so..
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I use alcohol stoves with the hardware vintage as well. I have them dialed in for maximum efficiency and reliability, and they are fun to use so they will remain in my kit for now.

I am open to UL ideas and that has really lightened the load over the years, but some of it I find rather flimsy or drafty, so I continue to embrace my Hilleberg tent and WM Versalite bag philosophy instead of the Cuben tarp and down quilt mantra for now.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

rlown wrote:i admit, I'm on the cooking side of the house. I'll stick with the weight. i'm a white gas guy.. my two fuel containers have been reused endlessly. One since '76 and the other since '82.

I know this is off the topic, but I also know a few here who are canister fans. And, they don't know what to do with the 1/4 leftovers they come out with. I've seen a closet full of questionable canisters, so..
I'm not really an UL hiker. My Sierra trips are usually 12-14 days. My pack last trip weighed 65 pounds, because I carry a lot of camera gear and way too much food. I've been making an effort lately to lighten my load. This year I'm shooting for 50 pounds. The Trangia and its fuel will probably weigh as much as the MSR pocket rocket, but I won't have to carry the empty canisters out, and the Trangia is just easier to use. I love to cook simple flavorful meals, which might call for a simmer, then a boil, and a steep. The Trangia has a simmer ring, which makes this possible. You could cook a trout easily.

Out here in the hotels and hostels in the small towns along the Appalachian Trail, hikers leave 1/4 and 1/2 empty canisters and other redundant gear for those who might want to use them. Might be a good idea for the Sierras--a free box of extra food, fuel and gear.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Out here in the hotels and hostels in the small towns along the Appalachian Trail, hikers leave 1/4 and 1/2 empty canisters and other redundant gear for those who might want to use them. Might be a good idea for the Sierras--a free box of extra food, fuel and gear.
Everyone is going to see this one differently, especially in the Sierra. I see it as people leaving their stuff in bear boxes because they no longer want to carry it. It would be nice if a back-country ranger could comment on this. I suspect cleaning out bear boxes is not their favorite thing to be doing. Any sharing to be on a handshake, not leaving it in a box thinking it might come in handy for someone else.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien