How does everyone keep in shape?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How does everyone keep in shape?

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I swim seven miles a week. Good cardio and a thorough work out for arms, shoulders and legs, plus easy on the joints.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

How do I stay in shape?

I don't...
I get fat...
lazy...
aches and pains...
Then hit the Sierra totally unprepared and have a great time.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Rogue, I've done it that way and I've done it the opposite and I've done it in between, lots times for each. Getting in really good shape is lots of work but when summer comes (especially the potential we have this year) it's LOTS more fun being in good shape, at least for me and if you never try you'll never know if it's worth the effort.
I believe that research has shown that getting in good shape is a method that follows: It's not significant extensive grueling hard work (like backpacking) that creates good shape but instead is lots of consistent work at a moderate level over a longer period of time (like riding a bycycle 10-20 miles a day, 3-5 days a week for several months). By the way, I tried it and sure enough it worked for me.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I stretch, do push ups, crunches, chin-ups and run 3 miles and at least 5 days a week sometimes more. Before a big hike I will add 1 hour of bicycling to the running. It's all about the caridovascular for me. It's really not a good idea to show up fat and out of shape before a serious Sierra hike.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Today I drove 3 hours, practice my pitching, hit balls and watched most of 2 NFL playoff games. With all this I managed to fit in a bike ride. Trust me when I say that it wasn't easy. For me, riding a bike and hiking always "translated" really well. What a treat it is to be able to ride a bike again (last 4 months) after 2 years of not being able to do so.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Riding my bike, hitting the treadmill and weight lifting seems to be working for me. I also do push-ups and sit-ups.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I talk a good game of golf
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Trying to lose 10 pounds before summer, so I found a 7 - 8 mile hiking loop here in Sacramento.
They call Sacramento the City of Trees - not much elevation change, so do the bridges..
I give you Sacramento today.
map X.jpg
walk 2.jpg
walk 3.jpg
walk 4.jpg
walk 6.jpg
walk 8.jpg
walk 9.jpg
walk 11.jpg
walk 12.jpg
walk 13.jpg
walk 14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I'm also trying to drop some pounds and get my legs ready for this summer. Here in Auburn I've explored a lot of the Auburn Rec Area looking for the steepest trails. My current favorite is this 5.5 mile loop that starts with about 600 feet of climbing in the first mile.
041412_track.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Trying to lose 10 pounds before summer, so I found a 7 - 8 mile hiking loop here in Sacramento.
They call Sacramento the City of Trees - not much elevation change, so do the bridges..
I give you Sacramento today.
Probably not helping the ol' heart rate when you're stopping every 100 yards to take a picture, Mark. :lol:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix