Google Satellite Views

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Google Satellite Views

Post by oldranger »

Has anyone else/noticed that google updates sat. pics even if they provide less data than the previous year? The display of snow covered terrain certainly is not much help in determining whether a route will go when the snow is gone.

I guess I have too much free time!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Google Satellite Views

Post by rlown »

yes they do.. the official response i got from them was "we don't necessarily control when an area is scanned." hence, I use their "view/historical imagery" capability to flip back to a reasonable pic of the area I want to view.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Historical views I thought only worked in G.Earth, would be nice if it worked in G.Maps as well.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

It would be nice. Since it doesn't, I do my map work in the garmin mapsource tool, produce a KMZ file and project it into Goggle Earth. Then i tweak my route in the tool endlessly until I get what I want. And in GE, i can basically fly the route with the imagery i want (no snow).
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The updates the last few years have been rather useless for the higher mountains as they show too much snow. Use December 2005.