Sony game changers

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sony game changers

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote:Don't know if you have read this yet Fish: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57920.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what would interest me, if it does come to be, and if Canon has no 1 DS Mark 4 by
next summer: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57260.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
have you seen this?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony ... ame-nex-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canon's 1Dx won't do much for landscape, nor Nikon's D4 on my platform. D800 is rumored to be 36mp and out around mid Feb, but also well over $3k.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yeap, read about it last week, though personally would have rather liked to have seen
a dedicated full frame, and not a hybrid, but we'll see.
Waiting to see, when ever it does shows up, what surprise's the next 5D Mark 3 has in
store for its Canon landscape photographers.
The Nikon D 800 might be an interesting alternative since Canon still has not come out
with up a lens to match the 14-24 on the wide angle zoom end, and I refuse to put down
that kind of money, and lose autofocus, by using it on my canon.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Maverick,

Nikon D800E seems to be the ticket... and the prices aren't even what they said they would be. I still can't afford it, but I know that after my D7000, there's now only one upgrade path... $3300 is a lot of change, though...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sure it's a big amount, but should pay for itself in a few months. The lack of an
anti-aliasing filter on the 800E sure sounds interesting, but will wait to see what the
5D3 has to offer, and to see what the major reviewers have to say after using both
in the field.
For my work I need all the resolution they can give, almost went over to the Pentax
645D, but there new lenses are still now where to be found. After introducing a
new 20 mm last year it has yet to show up, and now they have the nerve to talk about
a new zoom lens, when will that hit the market 2015?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote: but will wait to see what the
5D3 has to offer,
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02 ... D-Mark-III" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

improved weather sealing and movie features. yawn.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

5D Mark 3 = :puke:
What a joke, where is our studio/landscape camera Canon. They discontinued the
1DS Mark 3, then give us 2 camera's of similar megapixels in the 1DX and 5D Mark 3. :\
So they added some new features, and finally added a better autofocus, which they
should have added to started with, and now want $3400 for it. :lol:
Some of us need/want more megapixels to be able to print larger, and get sharper
details without having to stitch (or go to medium format), which works fine in some
cases, but in cases of movement (clouds, water) not so well.
They seem to ration out the features, and gives a little more on each upgrade, unlike
Nikon which loads there less expensive models full of features that are in there top
of the line camera's.
Look at all the features in the new D800!
With all that said, I will wait till Oct to see if they have anything up there sleeves, and
see what Sony throws into the mix.

fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Well, what have you decided to do? My Sony drool episode came to an end when Nikon released the D600 and then decided to throw in a lens and take off another $200 over the holidays. I'm now listing all my DX stuff on ebay. LOVE the D600 - just as compact and 'light' as the D7000, super dynamic range, better low light performance, 24mp is plenty for me, given a D800e would have cost me almost twice as much. All my old MF full frame Nikkors now work the way they were supposed to work, too.

I don't think Canon has anything to compete on the level of sensor quality right now. They may do better video, but that's not of primary concern to me. They blew it, since I was ready to change systems if they had released a great affordable FX body, as I have access to a friend's selection of high end Canon glass at any time and I would have swallowed the cost of a few basic lenses to cover daily needs. Nikon's D600 was that body I was waiting for...

When I saw the D800 as refurb for $2299 I was tempted, but I never saw a D800e at a reasonable discount, plus the big D600 deal was going on at the same time. The difference in cost buys me a whole trip to the Sierras (heading out in April), and that's worth more to me than the extra 12 MP. Maybe one day I'll remove the AA filter from the D600 to make my own D600e, but that'll have to wait a while until I know I am keeping it for a long time. When I saw this comparison, I almost ordered the D800e:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... 1676-12555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fish wrote:
Well, what have you decided to do?
WIll not play their games and will wait till they introduce a body that works for me!
My Canon will still produce great quality pieces for the next couple of years even if
I have to do multi-for panorama's to get the size and resolution once in a while.
Also Canon needs to make a better sensor that can produce a better dynamic range
similar/better than the D800, and something in the mid 40's or higher when it comes
to the MP's. I do not care about high iso, though at least give us clear noise free photo's
up to 3200, would like to see clean low iso 50 or lower, with great color, and high a
dynamic range, but this may just be a pipe dream with the way Canon R&D has
been going. Will see what the new year brings us. :D

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Regarding the Sony Nex system: I tried it, and I wanted to like it, but I decided against it. I really liked the Nex-6 body, and it was light, and easy to use in non-automatic modes. But it come down to the same thing most people don't like, lens selection, limited, not that light, and low quality. I don't want to have to put an lens adapter on the Sony, and use legacy lenses, to backpack, or whatever. I did try the Olympus OM-D for 6 months last year, and it was pretty good, but I sold it, and now, I am using the new Panasonic G-5, which is half the price of the Olympus, with access to good lenses that are lighter than a Nikon or Canon. Not as good of a camera, but I am concentrating on learning how to take better photos. It is good enough for someone of my ability. Welcome back Maverick!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

"Richlong8 wrote:
Not as good of a camera, but I am concentrating on learning how to take better
photos. It is good enough for someone of my ability. Welcome back Maverick!
Thanks Rich! A good camera will not make a person a good photographer it is
only a tool which one should keep in mind when purchasing one. Many people buy
a camera way beyond their needs or means and then get discouraged that their
photographs still aren't any better (just to make it clear those previous sentences
are not directed towards you). You're 100% correct in saying that one should first
concentrate on learning the basic's, then move on to developing an individual style
before ever thinking about purchasing any expensive equipment.
Many folks do not take the time to know how to use their camera's either, instead
they switch to auto avoiding manual, Av, TV modes, or learning the effects of the
different apertures, speed or ISO settings have on the whole creative process.
When one comes upon a popular lookout, for example the eastern end of Thousand
Is Lake, instead of standing where 15 other photographer's who hiked by on the
JMT that day and took the same shot of the same scene, you should be creative by
moving lower to the ground or include something into the foreground, find a different
unique angle, challenge yourself to think constantly outside of the box otherwise
your shots may be good technically, but nothing out of the ordinary and similar
to 100's of snapshots taken from the same spot because you have not included your
personal emotions or individual creativity into the process.
When scouting out a location during the day that may have taken hours, sometimes
days, one still has several things to consider before taking a picture.
First, what is it that I wanting to share with my viewers, then what is the story that I
want to convey, and how can they become emotionally attached to the piece.
Where do I need the clouds to be if they are to be part of my vision, if a lake is in that
vision than will it be a partial or full view, can I use the shoreline to lead my viewers
eye to the main subject or will I use rocks in the lake to lead towards a peak in
the background.
Then deciding whether sunset or sunrise will give me the optimum lighting, because
some areas work at both times. Once a subject matter has been chosen that will
convey my vision, and all the intricate parts that are needed for this piece has come
together its on to which lens, shutter speed, aperture, and iso will best suit the whole
process, and again this is before even thinking about the shutter button.
These are is just part of what happens (do not want to put you to sleep with an
exhaustive list), after one gains some experience, knows ones equipment inside
out, and develops an individual artistic vision/style.