Bull Run Lake TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Bull Run Lake TR

Post by justm »

The crazy spring like weather prompted me and a buddy to head out for the sierras this weekend. We made it to the Bull Run Trail head at about 11:30 am in the Carson Iceberg wilderness off Highway 4. It was windy and cold, about 37 degrees with the wind chill. We brought all the cloths we were thinking of leaving, because of the wind.
The hike was great, patchy snow, up to 8 in. in the shadows, but clear sections to. The real danger was ice !! Lots of slippery ice. We layered clothing, and took off clothing as needed. The weather was great except for the wind. We crossed frozen streams ( really cool looking!!) and made it to the lake about 2:00 pm.
We found an old site we had been to before and made camp in the 5 inch snow. We gathered wood for the fire and set up the tents, the wind was picking up. Hanging out and making dinner around the fire turned chaotic, as the wind was gusting with a fury! My friends tent went airborne, and we were grabing flying tents and tarps ! We got his tent staked down ( the right way) and all was good.
The wind died down and by morning it was warmer and calmer. It is so quiet up there now. We didn't see another soul. We packed up and took a last look at the frozen lake. So beautiful, the lake ice started cracking in the morning sun, making for strange sounds, like wales in the deep!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bull Run Lake TR

Post by rlown »

pictures? one of my best experiences was sleeping on the ice in a Minnesota winter. It was comfortable in my -20F bag, but the booming sounds of the ice cracking kept waking me up.. go figure..
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bull Run Lake TR

Post by balzaccom »

That's a great area...and from the lake it's not too hard to get up to the pass for even better views.

Although with that wind, I think I would pass on climbing the peak!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963