The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2

Post by hikin_jim »

It was a beautiful day in the Los Angeles area yesterday, so I decided to go on a hike. I journeyed up Angeles Crest Highway to the Waterman Mountain area.

The day was clear and the views were stupendous.

Of course, I took a few stoves along. :) Indeed, one of my main objectives for this hike was to test the new MSR MicroRocket stove at a relatively high elevation (8038'/2450m).

So, won't you please join me for The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #2

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Thanks for the heads up Jim. As an ardent cannister guy, I'm going to have to check this one out. I will admit I'm going to hold off a bit until your "oatmeal testing expert" gives it her approval ;)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Jim

Thanks for the report, do you do a fish frying test? Several of us cook fish above the elevation where fires are legal. Consequently for us the spread of the flame is important so that the heat is reasonably even across the frying pan. Two canister stoves that seem to work are the windpro and the superfly. I have been using the Superfly for the last few years, markskor the windpro. I like the windpro better except for the added weight.

Another question, I saw that you put a windscreen around your canister stove. I thought that was a no-no due to the heat/pressure issue?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Jim

Thanks for the report, do you do a fish frying test? Several of us cook fish above the elevation where fires are legal. Consequently for us the spread of the flame is important so that the heat is reasonably even across the frying pan. Two canister stoves that seem to work are the windpro and the superfly. I have been using the Superfly for the last few years, markskor the windpro. I like the windpro better except for the added weight.

Another question, I saw that you put a windscreen around your canister stove. I thought that was a no-no due to the heat/pressure issue?

Mike
Yes, my concern too - the all-important "fish-fry" test. Additionally, what about the "stability test" - the ability to put a fry pan above the stove and not have it fall over - How does this come into play here?

Agreed that your comprehensive tests do show merit for comparing speed of boiling/ packing size/weight/simmering - even Oatmeal preparation...Thanks - good stuff here...but all stoves boil water eventually. I need some information on stability, wide flame dispersal, and using a windscreen without blowing myself up - things that directly pertain to my type of cooking.

Size and weight matters, but I guess I am asking, if not a boil and bag type, what stove works best at altitude for cooking trout and/or frying up tortillas? I would like to see some comparisons for these type stoves.

BTW, the windscreen shown also bothers me for "stove-over-the-canister" types.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Troutdog 59 wrote:Thanks for the heads up Jim. As an ardent cannister guy, I'm going to have to check this one out. I will admit I'm going to hold off a bit until your "oatmeal testing expert" gives it her approval ;)
The crack Adventures In Stoving taste test team is on the job!

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

oldranger wrote:Jim

Mike
Hi, Mike,

I know exactly what you're talking about and why you'd want to use a WindPro or SuperFly, both of which are good stoves. I think the WindPro has the edge because you can turn the canister upside down in cold weather and operate in much colder temperatures than a SuperFly.

I was actually thinking of doing some kind of cooking test, maybe tonight although I'm a bit ill today. I was going to try an omelette. I figure if I can make a nice fluffy omelette without producing a charcoal briquette, then I ought to be able to cook darned near anything.

The windscreen is something to do with caution. I was operating on a cold day. The canister was on a cold rock. The rock was surrounded by snow. I kept the flame fairly moderate. I left the windscreen partially open so I'd get some circulation. Overheating the canister in such conditions is next to impossible. Still, you have to be careful. The stove companies just say NEVER because that will always prevent canister explosions. But they don't have to cook at 8000' on a cold day with the wind blowing. You and I do.

Here's the trick: Use your hand. If the canister ever feels hot to the touch, TURN IT DOWN. Canisters are rated to something like 190F (don't quote me on that exact number, but it's something around there). As long as it doesn't feel hot to the touch, you're well below the danger limit. Just recognize that what you're doing has potential dangers and be diligent about monitoring the canister temperature. DO NOT fully enclose the canister. Leave it a little open like you see in my photos.

That by the way is one advantage of using a Windpro. The WP's canister is remote from the burner, so you can use a windscreen without the potential danger.

HJ
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Jim

Thanks for your answer which was about what I had figured out. And you did note why I, too, thought the Windpro was better. But I managed 9 nights this fall with a single 8 oz cartridge (no nights required cooking fish over the stove) with my Superfly. But for several nights of cooking fish the windpro will probably be much more efficient and more stable.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Jim,

Great info—thanks for all of it. Do you know when will this stove be in stores (particularly REI)? I have an REI gift card burning a hole in my pocket. The MSR website only has the stove available for purchase directly from Cascade Designs.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:Jim,

Great info—thanks for all of it. Do you know when will this stove be in stores (particularly REI)? I have an REI gift card burning a hole in my pocket. The MSR website only has the stove available for purchase directly from Cascade Designs.
Sorry to reply so late. Don't know how I missed your post. I'm pretty sure REI will carry it. BackCountryGear.com has it.

HJ