New Years resolutions.. What did we learn this year?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New Years resolutions.. What did we learn this year?

Post by rlown »

Ok, despite the amazing snow last year, most were out and about. What did we learn that we would repeat and swear by going forward for next year?

I learned that:

- trekking poles aren't that bad, if you're not clumsy.
- The neo-air, while in gaudy yellow, is really comfortable when she holds air.
- Inner socks (after 15+ consistent years of use) aren't as great as a good pair of smart wools.
- Eucerin Everyday protection face lotion is my friend.
- Schedules are hard to align for trips. Have to make more effort and more concession.

What have you learned or resolve to change?
dave54
Founding Member

Re: New Years resolutions.. What did we learn this year?

Post by dave54 »

Go slower and schedule more layover days. Sometimes the best camp chore is to do nothing but enjoy the day.

Do not be over anxious to visit the one exotic mega-destination on a bucket list. There are some terrific hiking area close to home. And they are not always in a designated wilderness or national park.

The old saying is true: God does not subtract from your allotted number of days the time spent fishing.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

1. return to old habit of carrying my passport in a zippered compartment or pocket
2. Make copy of said passport and visa and place somewhere else in my stuff.

OK, so that doesn't really apply to High Sierra stuff.

Main Sierran-related resolution:
Get to High Sierra more in 2012 than in 2011.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

That snow is no reason not to backpack. I think that every trip but one in 2011 involved hiking through at least some snow. This includes many trips in Southern California. I just got back from a PCT trip along the 15 Freeway (wilderness at its best) that topped out at 8,500 and six inches of snow in places.

That Goretex Vasque trail shoes are not waterproof. Neither is the Marmot Precip (at least not mine). :\
But Patagonia Drifters are (thanks Maverick for the recommendation!) and there's always my $2 disposable poncho collection.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

quentinc wrote:That Goretex Vasque trail shoes are not waterproof. Neither is the Marmot Precip (at least not mine). :\
Really? I've never had an issue with either one. Which Vasques?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

I intend to take more weekend backpack trips, as well as my usual week long trips. In the past I have made multiple weekend trips to the Sierra on a Saturday night, sleep at the trailhead and dayhike on Sunday, drive home Sunday night. Usually ends up as many or more hours driving than hiking. This year I am hoping to work it out to leave work a bit early occasional Fridays. I also understand there is now an online wilderness permit system, tho I haven't checked it out, I wonder if you can print your own?
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Goretex makes my feet/body wetter, because it traps any moisture in the boot/inside the jacket - so sweat goes nowhere fast and makes you wet. Waterproof/breathable is nothin' but a marketing ploy. Unless it's winter. All the Goretex I have is winter gear.

I learned this several years ago.

This last year, I learned not to eat a big greasy meal before getting in a helicopter and flying over the Sierra. So going to be careful about that this year.

Also I am going to work more multi-day/night backpack trips into my calendar.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

ERIC wrote:
quentinc wrote:That Goretex Vasque trail shoes are not waterproof. Neither is the Marmot Precip (at least not mine). :\
Really? I've never had an issue with either one. Which Vasques?
The Blur and the Oasis. No, wait, I think the second one is called the Mindbender. But the only thing that bent my mind was how fast my feet got wet. Not so with the Patagonia Drifters! I hiked through 6+ inches of snow in them (+ gaiters) last week and my socks stayed completely dry.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

That's interesting. I have a pair of Blur, but they're last year's model. Had the model year prior, too, and never any problems with either one. Been in several heavy downpour situations with them - in fact, just got back from British Columbia where we did a couple of day hikes and one overnight trip - it rained steadily nearly the entire time we were there. And take it for what it's worth, I think my feet probably sweat more than the average person's. I haven't noticed my feet sweating any more with the Blur than with my non-Gortex Montrails.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I tend to have bad luck with gear. On Saturday night, my super-expensive tent (MSR Carbon Reflex) was demolished in a windstorm in the San Gabriel mountains. It was "interesting" spending the night in a collapsed tent.