Lakes good for 8 people (4 tents) camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Lakes good for 8 people (4 tents) camping

Post by oleander »

The great thing about this thread is that now the highsierratopix readership has a good 10 years' worth of ideas for 3-day, easier trips. :)
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Mineral King: Eagle Lake or Mosquito Lakes: Nobody has a comment? I sure think that area is gorgeous...
I agree that both are gorgeous, and I have dayhiked to both destinations several times, but never overnighted at either location. However, Eagle Lake is overrun with marmots, so any overnight there may result in gear being taken or abused by marmots. I have seen backpackers coming out of Eagle Lake without their boots - marmots destroyed/stole them - and other gear shredded. The marmots at Eagle Lake are relentless! And at Mosquito Lakes, the mosquitoes can be horrendous!
I think the lakes above Virginia Lakes would be a fine destination, requiring little effort, but offering great scenery and the possibility of further exploration up to the pass and beyond.
Good luck in your quest.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Curious about the marmots at Eagle Lake. Is that a whenever-you-go problem, or more of an early-season problem?

I remember all the tales of marmots taking over the trailhead parking lot in early season, snacking on critical hoses and car parts. But then they disappear, satiated, after July.

- Elizabeth
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

All of my dayhikes to Eagle and Mosquito Lakes have been done in June and July, while camping at Cold Springs Campground. At Eagle Lake, the marmots will basically come right to you, with no fear at all. Best not to leave any gear on the ground, or they will be in/on/chewing it. I don't recall any marmots at or near Mosquito Lakes, but did have a very interesting bear (mother and two cubs) encounter hiking up Mosquito Creek.

Never had a problem with marmots in the campground, but have had marmots get into the engine compartment when parking at the trailhead parking areas during those months (June and July). On one occasion, they removed all of the insulation from under the hood - looked like a barber shop under my truck.
In September 2008, I did a backpack trip over Franklin Pass, and at that time of year, did not have any issues with marmots, though they were present around the trailhead parking areas.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.