Yosemite: "Mammoth Peak"

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Yosemite: "Mammoth Peak"

Post by Hikin Mike »

Friday afternoon, me and a friend took a trip up to the high country of Yosemite. This was my first visit to the park after my knee surgery, so it was good to get out again. There were nice clouds in the sky all afternoon, but unfortunately when the "Golden Hour" came, the clouds had disappeared.

I have to thank my friend for scoping out this spot. It was only 50' from the parking lot, but in my condition I would have never decided to walk that far into "the unknown".

This is Mammoth Peak and in the foreground is a small seasonal creek left over from the snowmelt. I'm posting two versions. I like the first one overall, but I like the second because the colors are a bit more vibrant. Both images were a blending of two exposures in CS2.

Comments/critiques welcome and please let me know which version (if any) you prefer. Thanks!

Canon 300D, 17-40 f/4L @ 24mm, Tripod
ISO 100, 1/100 sec, f/8

Canon 300D, 17-40 f/4L @ 17mm, Tripod
ISO 100, 1/160 sec, f/8
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Both really nice images Mike, I like the horizontal best, the lighting has that late afternoon feel of shadows and light and a really nice balance following the river into the picture.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Mike,

I like the first one the best too. I know very little about photography, so my gauge for a good image is how the photo inspires me to want to be in the picture - and I'd really want to be in that picture!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Shawn
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Thanks for looking. I wish I were back up there... :nod:
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Gorgeous photos Mike. And its great to see hear getting back out into the high country. Both photos are wonderful, I prefer the first one - it just seems like that ridge on the right, which is cut off in the second photo, adds so much to accentuate the rest of the photo. And you did a remarkable job blending 2 exposures in CS2!