Hilton Lakes Day Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Hilton Lakes Day Hike

Post by Wild Bill »

Started the New Year with a day hike to the Hilton Lakes on January 1st. Started above Rock Creek Lake, ended at Hilton Creek. Perfect weather and not much snow made for a great day trip! I should have brought ice skates! Ice conditions on the lake were perfect!

Enjoyed a hot lunch at Davis Lake, then watched the trout basking in the sun in Hilton Creek. There was an interesting traverse across a frozen "swamp" below Davis Lake; and then back home. A fun winters' day hike!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hilton Lakes Day Hike

Post by Cross Country »

Wat a great way to spend the day. Of all the places I've been to in the Sierra I never went to HL.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

These warm winter days are making for some great trip reports from you guys. I need to follow example and try and get up there. Thanks for posting your report, I'm jealous.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Very nice way to spend a day indeed WB!!! Never would have guessed you could day hike to those without snow shoes this time of year, but its a wierd year for sure. Nice report. Thanks!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

There is so little snow, snow shoes weren't needed anywhere! The unseasonably "warm" temps up here are actually melting what little snow there is left. I think the ice on the lakes may actually be getting thinner, so exercise caution when going out on the ice.
Last check, the Rock Creek Road was still open all the way to Mosquito Flat. (10,200') This is so unusual for this time of year. I saw other hikers taking advantage of great weather heading up the trail into Little Lakes Basin. On a positive note, there weren't any mosquitoes!
1-1-12 Hike 030.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.