So what is on your 2011 Christmas wish list?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: So what is on your 2011 Christmas wish list?

Post by gary c. »

I'm far from an ultralite kind of guy so the NeoAir All Season at 72in with a 4.8 R value still sounds pretty good to me at 19oz. It's the $150 price tag that keeps me from giving up my Big Agnes. I've been useing my BA for something like 6rys and never had a problem with it thank goodness.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:Russ,
balzaccom wrote:
Don't have much of a list this year---we have what we need.

Unless someone can send me some free time? I always appreciate THAT one!

why is it semi-retired types never have free time?
Remember that nature abhors a vacuum! So our schedule fills up!

Paul,

I'd even pay for a little extra time!

Merry Christmas!

Mike
Ok.. here's some more free time. Mike, you've posted 830ish times.
Let's say that you didn't have to think much and that's 5 minutes a post..
830 posts x 5 mins per post / 60 mins/hr = ? 70ish.. That's a weekend trip right there!

In fact, we should be flattered that you spare your spare time with us.. :)

Now.. Back to the Christmas festivities..

PS: Gary, I'd go with the long neo aire as well.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. so, i'm thinking none of us got a neo air, stuffed in a bearikade, wrapped in a WM vest, stuffed in a WM sleeping bag for Christmas.. :D

Now.. All I want is for it to start snowing really hard! tired of it just being cold.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

I'd think you'd be happy with what you've got this year of all years!
Looks like we will finally start getting some weather up here in Oregon for the first time in a month, beginning tonight! Hoping it reaches the Sierra, too.

Merry Christmas

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

rlown wrote:ok.. so, i'm thinking none of us got a neo air, stuffed in a bearikade, wrapped in a WM vest, stuffed in a WM sleeping bag for Christmas.. :D
Just sitting here reminiscing... thankful that I actually own that wish list above, (all except the questionable NeoAir), and content in that nothing in the way of gear is necessary. Sometimes we "Oldsters" do not realize how lucky we are: Living within a day's drive of our Sierra, having the years and experience, accumulating the best and lightest of equipment over time, and not having to start up from ground zero.

Imagine trying to build your kit now...Add up the WM's, the Tarptent, that backpack, Bearikade, stove, vest, fishing gear...probably/certainly thousands of dollars spent. Most of us Old Farts have it all.

Agree with Mike though, would trade it all in for another 20 years of great backpacking adventures. Thus my wish list is simple: Another great season of continued health and hiking.

See you all on the trail next season and hopefully for many more seasons after...
Sigh, even Mike too.

Merry X-mas
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Just like Mark wrote, I feel like a pretty lucky guy. Friday a couple buddies and myself were able to make a day run to Bishop just for the road trip. Recon'd a group site for next summer, bought some bread, bought some jerky, and even had time to throw a few flys on the Lower owens. Beautiful weather, good friends and home by 6:30 makes for a wonderful late December day.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I need new body parts. I woke up xmas morning with lower back pain. I haven't had that in almost 2 yrs. :-( I went snowboarding anyway, and caught an edge which tweaked my knee so now I'm hobbling around. Seeing a chiro in 1/2 hr, so maybe he can fix me for the new year. :rolleyes:

I have all the gear I need, but when I get home I'm replacing my ancient ice axe with the lighter Black Diamond Raven Pro. I have a gift certificate for REI from Scott. :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Snow Nymph wrote:I need new body parts.
On a recent backpack I was rocking (as the kids say) plantar's fasciitis, tennis elbow in both elbows (from using hiking poles), my usual creaky knees and a scratched cornea (from crap blowing in the gale force winds). But the good thing is I know this is all a complete coincidence and has nothing to do with age. :) (well, at least I'm on good grounds when it comes to the cornea).
Best of all, I'm ready to go out and do it all over again starting tomorrow.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm.. no one mentioned fishing tackle.. On a lunch break a couple months ago, I went to drool over rods and reels at Sportman's Warehouse. I think I know what I want, but told no one.. :( Probably wouldn't have mattered, but the rods and reels will be in my possession before the next backpacking trip.

Body parts: acquired as required.. but, hopefully not.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Santa put a Bearikade Expedition under the tree after I went to sleep. Woke up Christmas morning and there it was. :D
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com