Feedback requested: Bear Lakes Basin Loop 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Feedback requested: Bear Lakes Basin Loop 2012

Post by calipidder »

Just noticed this post. Hi. :)

There is a BLM campground (Horton Creek) near Pine Creek. That's where we stayed. Disadvantage is that you're not really getting much acclimation out of it. You can also dispersed camp in the Tungsten hills.

Day 1 is a hard day if you haven't been out. I had just come off of a four day trip out of Mineral King so I was relatively acclimated. But just remember it's a 4000ft+ climb on day 1.

Day 2 (Italy pass -> Dancing Bear -> Bear Lakes Basin) is not bad if you don't throw in Julius Caesar, but that made it a long day. The cross country over Dancing Bear is really easy. There is a tarn on the map at the top of Dancing Bear but it was bone dry - don't expect to get water there. We filled up on some untreated fresh melt coming off a snow field between italy and Dancing Bear.

Take a day or two to explore Bear Lakes Basin. I really enjoyed our 'down' time there. Fishing was incredible!

I found Feather Pass to be really easy from the Bear Lakes side. It looks a bit intimidating but the rocks make up some nice ramps that are easy to scramble up. Coming down we got into a bit of sketchy terrain just above that upper lake (LaSalle? Don't have my map open right now) but nothing we couldn't figure out.

The days we spent climbing Seven Gables and Four Gables were our longest, most tiring days. You don't have those on your itinerary, but Feather isn't going to be a breeze. Royce is easy as long as you're not chased off by thunderstorms. :retard:

Enjoy! I need to start working on my summer 2012 trip planning. Wheee!!!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Snow Nymph and Calipidder, thanks for the feedback. Sorry for taking so long to reply back—crazy days.

Sounds like we'll need to be in good shape to handle day 1 and from Snow Nymph's photos I think Feather Peak might be a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Flexibility with the plan will be a must.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Since you live in Sacramento, why not enter at Bear Creek DD? That could save a day and $ on gas.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Freestone, I've twice gone into Seven Gables from the diversion dam. It's always taken us two days to get up to Seven Gables from the TH. So, the thinking is that an east side entry gets us into the high country on day 1. (Granted, it's a huge day.) I'll actually be coming from Auburn, so the drive time is about the same either way. Plus, it's always nice to see something new... :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.