A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Post by rlown »

i agree with climbing as an excuse to be seen.. even loved ones.. still.. I know where I drop my pack and there I am. as for foggy/crappy conditions, you do what you think you need to do. color means nothing after 50' in a bad fog..
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikin_jim »

I know of a local SAR operation that found their intended missing person when someone saw something blue among the boulders. Had he been wearing gray that day...

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

rlown wrote:how much do you really feel you'd need to be found?
:rolleyes:

I need to be found. Not sure why I would not want to be found. Still have things to do other than becoming biomass in the mountains.

had my time in the military doing the opposite thing. Am still compensating for those silly years in camo.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Some more splash. :lol: Although after receiving my gaiters, I did wish I would've picked something not so loud. Headlamp is also 277 lumens. :D

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I like muted colors for my tent so my solo camps can be as inconspicuous as possible. When hiking solo I wear the most god awful combination of red checked shirt and faded orange shorts. Anyone who crosses my path will remember in case I turn up missing. When in more populated areas and with others I become a little more muted. The only other "off color" thing I bring (other than my sense of humor) is my blue poncho. But I also take a "spot locator." If I can't make that work I am probably beyond rescue anyway.

When day hiking in Central Oregon during hunting season I wear a florescent orange shirt. Have drawn some interesting comments until I point out it is hunting season. Every year in Oregon someone gets killed by a hunter, usually another hunter. When within a mile of trailheads I am pretty nervous but further away I figure that most hunters who go to that effort will be a little more skilled and conscientious about their shooting.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

There was a time....

I can remember an incident back in the mid 80's(?), at a convention of outdoor gear manufacturers a representative from the Forest Service gave a presentation on this same topic -- muting the color choices to help reduce the visual impact as backcountry use increases.

He basically got booed from the podium.

I carry a single item of bright day-glo as a just in case. Otherwise I go for earth tones and dark clothing.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote: Every year in Oregon someone gets killed by a hunter, usually another hunter. When within a mile of trailheads I am pretty nervous but further away I figure that most hunters who go to that effort will be a little more skilled and conscientious about their shooting.

mike
It's in every state.. If you're hiking, even in a wilderness area, put on the orange! Know the hunting season for the area you hike (usually opens mid sept'ish).

Mike, you should be nervous even 5 miles out.. As I hunt, and a day in's hike is actually a blessing, please wear something bright. No antlers please.. :p
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I do wear my bright stuff Russ!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:I do wear my bright stuff Russ!

Mike
It wasn't for you!! I've seen you in "bright" stuff.. It's painful. :\
Shiker
Topix Novice

Post by Shiker »

If you are going solo, or if you have children that are at possible risk of straying and getting lost-- bright clothing provides a major safety advantage precisely because it so visible. I learned this firsthand in SAR - someone wearing bright orange is maybe 100x more visible than from the air than someone wearing drab colors.