Inyo permit reservations now online

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I don't remember if this was mentioned before but all Inyo reservations will be done online in 2012, even the Whitney lottery.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news ... RDB5343013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Inyo permit reservations now online

Post by rlown »

Thanks for posting, Gary!

About time they got with the online program, other than paying for the overhead of the system :\ .
It wasn't clear from the NRRS system if there was a leadtime on the reservation, and of course, the inyo FS link came back with a 404 error. I didn't test it by trying a reservation yet, as that's real money, and I don't know what my plans are next year yet.

Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I have wondered about how much if any lead time is required also. Wouldn't it be sweet to be able to go online after work and reserve a permit knowing it would be waiting for you when the office opened in the morning.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

I imagine the lead time would be almost nothing and that they would go into the NF systems immediately.

I've used the system to reserve campsites (Big Pine Creek being one of them) before and it at least seems like the reservation is immediately in their system.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I hope they don't stop doing it - like Yosemite did. They used to have online for wilderness permits.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

I checked out making a wilderness reservation yesterday, since I was on making Yosemite reservations. Of course a date in August wasn't "available" yet so I backed up the reservation window til I could make a reservation. It is 6 months to the date. But I didn't try to reserve a permit for"tomorrow."
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I used this system to get my permit for Desolation in September. As I recall I booked it the day before my entry. And I was able to print the permit at home, no need to take the time to go to the FS office to pick it up. The cost seemed like more than I expected, but you can't beat the convenience factor.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Boy can I hardly wait for the summer (although the way it's going, it may be a very dry one, especially compared to last summer). This note reminds me to get my permits, and I thank you for the reminder.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.