Best Waterfall set up

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
pork50
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Best Waterfall set up

Post by pork50 »

Maverick, wonderful artical, answers all of my questions. Much appreciated.
Pork50
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for posting the article. I have been working on the blur effect as well. I use a ND filter, and the self-timer, with my Panasonic LX-5, but I think I need to start carrying a tripod. The picture are just not as sharp as they should be. My aperture may be opened up too much also.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Rich

The wispy, cotton candy effect that one can get from using a high f stop, or a high
f stop (16 and up)+ polarizer combo, or by using a 3,6, or 9 stop ND filter, is cool, but
can be over done, and doesn't suit every picture.
See what appeals to you as the photographer, and what are you trying to convey in your
picture.
Sometimes movement, and power is what will bring that photo to life, which is better
captured using faster shutter speeds, experiment with different shutter speeds, and
f-stops to see which resembles the scene, and your artistic vision.
Also taking shots at different exposure levels like -2,0,+2, and then blending them will
work well, and preserves your highlights, and shadows like in this shot, but this technique
doesn't work with every shot, and of coarse a tripod is needed.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v26/ ... 6290-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

richlong8 wrote: but I think I need to start carrying a tripod. The picture are just not as sharp as they should be. My aperture may be opened up too much also.
depends - sometimes a good rock or in the case of one of my earliest moving water shots, a wooden bridge can serve as support. I shot the below image in 1985, F22, low light 100asa with a Nikkormat EL, self-timer, sitting on the bottom of a bridge., 24mm Tokina el-cheapo lens that died a horrible lens death years later in Corsica. It was cloudy and it was in the woods - dark enough to get at least 2-3 seconds exposure

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

That's is a wonderful blurred look in that photo. I know the slowest shutter speed I have used is 1/10th. And then I am using some exposure compensation, Neutral density filter, just to get the exposure right. Hmmh.....I have to spend alot more time with my camera this winter if I am ever going to significantly improve my High Sierra landscape type photos. Thats for sure....
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

forgot to mention a little cheater trick in case you can't get the exposure down low enough. Requirements are a) camera on solid tripod and use of remote trigger to make sure all exposures you take are aligned, and b) a copy of photoshop and the ability to understand this blog post:

http://snapify.blogspot.com/2008/11/fak ... falls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks. That is an interesting post. Do you know if photoshop elements is capable of that trick?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

richlong8 wrote:Thanks. That is an interesting post. Do you know if photoshop elements is capable of that trick?
never used it, but if you can do layers and adjust opacity for each, that's about all it takes
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

I know photoshop allows you to add layers of the waterfall to the movement and adds different effects. I bought an ND2, ND4, ND8 filters. Going to walker this upcoming weekend, will comeback with photographs. hope to get some nice star trails while up there too... :unibrow:
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

With Canon Elfs or a Panasonic Lumix, how do you get these effects?