Hot Springs Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nathand
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Hot Springs Loop

Post by nathand »

Last year my crew did the South Lake to North Lake loop. It was awesome but I'm hoping for a more leisurely trip this year. Can anyone recommend a "Hot Springs" loop. 4-5 nights. Sierras preferred but any ideas welcome.

Thanks, N8
tim
Topix Expert

Re: Hot Springs Loop

Post by tim »

One of the classic hot springs loops is Duck Pass to Iva Bell hot springs to Reds Meadow (out of Mammoth). I did this with my kids (ie leisurely pace) in 2010 over 5 days/4 nights. If you went into the Silver Divide it would be easy and very pleasant to extend to 5 or 6 nights.
Our trip report is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nathand
Topix Newbie

Post by nathand »

Great TR Tim. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anybody have any lower ideas?
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

I assumed you meant for next summer. If you are looking for something in the off season then maybe Sykes hot springs in Big Sur, but that may not be a mid winter trip
nathand
Topix Newbie

Post by nathand »

You assumed correctly. Honestly, I was hoping for something that got us to a couple if not a few hot springs along the way. Realistic? What if I said it could be anywhere.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Sespe Wilderness thru hike. Best in spring, NOT summer, as you would bake your brains in summer in 100+F temps. Willetts (if they restored it after the landslide) and then Sespe Hot Springs the next day. But not a loop. Could be a four day out and back, could be a thru from Rose Valley to Johnson Ridge TH. Depends on road conditions and when the road opens.

Lots of hot springs in the wilderness area above Santa Barbara, but all are an easy hike and thus very populated.

Sykes is a zoo. Do not recommend it as it attracts hordes of folks who do not backpack and leave their trash and gear back there. The hike itself is 10 miles one way and 5000 feet of cumulative gain, making it as hard as Half Dome.

There are hot springs at Blaney Meadows, a day out from Florence Lake. There's the Kern Hot Springs. There's a warm spring in a lake not far from Mono Hot Springs resort, where there are developed and undeveloped pools, but that's not a loop hike.

There's more than 300 hot springs in California total, and many of them are in the desert and are driving, not hiking, trips. Many are developed and not any effort at all. Lots of them along the coast and near Death Valley.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Lots of hot springs in the wilderness area above Santa Barbara, but all are an easy hike and thus very populated.
After a lot of winter rains, the road to Pendola and the upper Santa Ynez river area closes leaving these hot springs totally isolated. Access to this area would be by trail via Foreblush camp to the Santa Ynez river and then on to Caliente. It's also a great mountain bike trip. (for me, via the road)
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien