Cache Creek Wilderness Area

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cache Creek Wilderness Area

Post by FeetFirst »

I was searching for low elevation backpacking destinations during winter and came across the Cache Creek Wilderness Area. It's located about an hour and half north of Sacramento just east of Clear Lake, bordered by CA-20 to the north and CA-16 to the east. I'm planning to do an overnight trip there this weekend entering from the Redbud TH, which is located right off Highway 20 where it crosses Cache Creek. The Redbud trail ends 7 miles downstream at Wilson Valley, where I anticipate camping for the evening. I've come across a couple of trip reports on the web, but was curious if anyone here has visited the area and what their impression was. Thanks.

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Cache Creek Wilderness Area

Post by rlown »

I haven't been there but all around it. If you're hiking through it, I'd think tick checking is in order, given the elevation. Should be a nice weekend there now that the wind has blown all the fog out.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Re ticks: I've generally dealt with them more so during spring and summer, but always a concern at low elevations. I think Point Reyes has the worst I've ever experienced. Or maybe that was the poison oak. Boy do I miss the Sierra. I need to start snow camping.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So, I was knee deep in a duck pond for the most part of Saturday 34 miles NE of there. It was pleasantly windy (13-25mph) all day. How was your trip?
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I actually had a change of plans and headed to the foothills for the day instead. I went to check out the Rubicon River about 11 miles downstream from Hell Hole Reservior (Hunters Trail), starting where Eleven Pines Road crosses the river. Absolutley beautiful in the canyon but very cold and gusty.

Cache Creek will hopefully happen soon though. The holiday rush is getting to me and I need some time away from it all.