Stove of the Week: The Caldera Cone

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Stove of the Week: The Caldera Cone

Post by hikin_jim »

This week's stove is the Caldera Cone with 10-12 alcohol burner from Trail Designs.

The Caldera Cone with 10-12 burner is a stable, efficient, and wind resistant ultralight alcohol system that packs well inside a standard Ziploc container that doubles as a bowl.

Packed:

Unpacked:

Believe it or not, everything in the second photo is also present in the first.

I've written a review which is now available on Seattle Backpackers Magazine and there's a supplemental post with further information on my blog. Both can be accessed via this link.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Re: Stove of the Week: The Caldera Cone

Post by hikin_jim »

I just added some more photos and a technical appendix listing weights to the blog post.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

I used an ordinary 8oz "bottled water" bottle to hold my alcohol; you can see it in the photos. The problem with using a drink bottle of course is that someone might unknowingly take a drink.

I saw this photo on the web:
The two flattened type bottles fit in together, but it's unlikely that anyone would confuse them with drink bottles. You'd have capacity and safety at the same time.

HJ
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Just ordered one of these for the Mini Trangia pot. Since I have more pots on my backpacking storage shelve than is in the kitchen cupboard, I was glad to see they make their cones to fit a wide range of manufacturers. :thumbsup: I chose the Trangia because that kit lacks a decent windscreen and the pot is aluminum. I have been disappointed with boiling performance with Trangia titanium pots to date and the Mini series in general especially in the ever breezy alpine High Sierra.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

freestone wrote:Just ordered one of these for the Mini Trangia pot. Since I have more pots on my backpacking storage shelve than is in the kitchen cupboard, I was glad to see they make their cones to fit a wide range of manufacturers. :thumbsup: I chose the Trangia because that kit lacks a decent windscreen and the pot is aluminum. I have been disappointed with boiling performance with Trangia titanium pots to date and the Mini series in general especially in the ever breezy alpine High Sierra.
Interesting. I knew they made cones for a variety of pots, but I wasn't aware that the mini Trangia pot was one of them. Sounds like it would be a good choice.

If you have a chance, post a photo of your set up once you get it.

I think you'll like it. I've found the Caldera Cone to be very stable and very windproof. It's nice not to have to carry a separate pot stand too.

HJ
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

This is my first HST post so please bear with me if I make any newbie tech mistakes.

I used the Caldera Keg - F on the JMT this summer and it was amazing. Even during windy coffee breaks on top of Mather Pass it was stable and boiled water quickly. I've had a couple of leaks in the Fosters can but no problems with the cone. With the Caldera Cady it's a whole kitchen settup at around 6 ozs. Nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Yeah, it's a nice set up with a very efficient burner -- and it's reliable even in wind. I'm pretty happy with mine.

What kind of problems did you have with your Foster's can and what did you do to fix them? Pine sap? :wink:

I have (and this is just me) kind of moved away from beer can-as-a-pot type cooking. I was worried about stability and creases in the can turning into leaks. I went with a titanium 0.85L MSR kettle. Heavier than a beer can, but pretty light and pretty strong.

HJ
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

My Fosters can started to crack slightly in a few places where it is creased about 1/3 of the way from the top. I used aluminum tape along the circumfrence of the inside to add strength and seal it completely. It seems to be working well now. I got the Caldera Keg - F to go as light as possible but I think it may be time to try a cone for my 550 ml titanium mug (from TiGoat, with handles and the carbon fiber lid). Eventually the better functionality of a titanium mug or kettle may win out over lighter weight can . . .

The MSR kettle seems to be really popular. Is the 0.85L size enough to boil water for two people?

BTW, I like your stove web site/blog. I've never seen a site so thoroughly dedicated to stoves, awesome!
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Bluewater wrote:The MSR kettle seems to be really popular. Is the 0.85L size enough to boil water for two people?
Yeah, it's big enough for two. A little tight, but if you plan what you're cooking well, it's fine. Just don't expect your hot drinks and your hot meal to be at exactly the same time. With two people, you have to stagger things a bit, and you have to pick things that aren't too water intensive.
Bluewater wrote:BTW, I like your stove web site/blog. I've never seen a site so thoroughly dedicated to stoves, awesome!
It's just that no one has been crazy, er, dedicated enough to do it before. :wink:

HJ
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Cool, I'm going to try the Caldera Cone w/ the larger pot for a 2 person cookset. I've been using a Monatach Gnat canister stove and the pot from a GSI Dualist and it's a little bulky and probably heavy (although I haven't weighed it).

Here's a Caldera Volcano:
1264661877_20622.jpg
~Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.