question about trip reports

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

question about trip reports

Post by bheiser1 »

I guess in the ideal world, each time we get back from a backpacking trip, we'd immediately prepare the pictures and post a trip report, to let people know what conditions were like in near real time. But many of us get busy & don't get to this :). So I wonder - are people here interested in trip reports from, say, the preceding season?

I went on 5 trips this summer (more backpacking then I had done in years), and posted a TR about one (the first one). But the rest of the summer I was either working, on my trips, or catching up on other stuff on the in-between weekends. Would they still be of interest if I post them during the "winter" months? Would they be viewed as a nice flashback to our summer adventures, or as "why are you posting those now, months after the trip"? :confused:
Last edited by bheiser1 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: question about trip reports

Post by LMBSGV »

Travel in the Sierra is timeless. So my answer is yes, please post them.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Post your TR's whenever you want, there are no time limits that need to be met.
Reading TR's in the winter from the Summer months or earlier is much appreciated
here, especially during this slower time of the year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

No doubt about it, post em. The big question is "got pictures"? :D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Totally. The older the better. Some of the most fun TR's I've read on here have been the real oldies, where someone posts about a trip they took in 1965, But last year is good, too!
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Thanks for the feedback. Stay tuned... :)
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

paul wrote:Totally. The older the better. Some of the most fun TR's I've read on here have been the real oldies, where someone posts about a trip they took in 1965, But last year is good, too!
I want to echo paul's thought - - it doesn't matter when, it's still YOUR experience of the Sierra, and we want to read it and see it. So if you've got more stuff, especially w/pix, bring it on! :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

I always take pics - photography is a big part of my trips. It's really hard to imagine going on a trip without taking pics.

This has been a "bad camera year" for me ... on two different trips I had battery issues with my Nikon D300 (essentially meaning I lugged 8 lbs of camera gear for nothing for much of each of those trips). On another trip a gust of wind blew over my tripod holding my "backup" camera, an old Nikon D70, smashing it into the Sierra granite. Needless to say that (the pieces of) that camera now serve as a paperweight on my desk. But at least I had my trusty iPhone along in each case as a backup (ok, add another 8 oz for that) :).

Stay tuned, I need to spend some time picking out photos "eligible for sharing" (i'm picky, so there aren't all that many from the hundreds I shot on each trip), and get into the right mood for creative writing :).
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I only read trip reports because I love the wilderness. I am a bad writer and bad photographer, but decided to post my trips this summer because I know others enjoy it too. It adds to this wonderful site. I will bet that the vast majority don't post trip reports because it is a pain in the butt! But please do, add to the wealth of information here. We have a thirst for it.

You could do like I did, I made one report that covered multiple trips. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

And yes not taking pics is dumb.....I did it for many years, and I regret it.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

My vote is for posting it too. Like others say, it gives everyone something to be entertained with during the "slow" time of year.

I've been meaning to put mine up from the end of the summer, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Hoping to find some free time over the holiday week to put something together.