A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Post by rlown »

My standard chameleon clothing for a Sept Sierra trip:
SDC12461.JPG
My DoubleRainbow tarp tent is dull gray. In a full moon scenario, I could not be in a brightly colored tent, as I would never get to sleep. My rain gear is either dark blue or black.

Not a fan of day-glo unless hunting season is open in the area. As DaveLA said, the day-glow would hurt my eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Russ, I hear you on the tent! Mine (MSR Carbon Reflex) is bright yellow and I hate that both for the reason you mention and the blight on the landscape. But all the other models I was interested in were similarly cursed.
On clothes, maybe the compromise is to carry a super-light day-glo shell, that one never actually wears (except in the case of an actual emergency or hunting season). I do have a fairly light one for cycling, so I guess I'd have to consider whether it's worth carrying the extra weight.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I happen to like a little splash of color.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I happen to like a little splash of color.
Same here. Windshirt/rain jacket are both gecko green, synthetic puffy is yellow, down jacket is red, old tent/pack was orange. :) Tent is now grey and pack is black/green. Switching down jackets and now it's black.

Panamint City smoke stack in the background.

On top of White Mountain.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

spiffy..

There's a reason to be in dark clothing when you fish til the rod guides freeze.. you need all the heat absorption you can get.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Sort of on the fence on this.
As a solo maven, do not really care what gear looks like as the only one who sees me - mostly. Thus will take advantage of any $$ savings on gear, (usually steep and cheap stuff/ leftovers come in these loud colors), especially on any premium equipment offered.
However, given a choice, will always gravitate toward the muted hues.
FYI, my gear is mostly black, tent is a TT Rainbow, Backpack is blue.
On smaller gear though, the stuff easily lost when put down, (stuff sacks, cameras, etc), do prefer the louder colors.
Mountainman who swims with trout
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

if I can, I get gear in visible colors - red, organge, yellow. But I don't get too excited about it. I like my orange tents, as they all looks very happy inside, even when it's very ugly outside.

Red and orange rain jackets and a red backpack make me easy to spot should I need to be spotted. Dirt over the years takes the edge off all these colors. None of my hiking gear neon colored, but on my bicycle, I do wear a vest that is neon green with relectors. Not needed in the mountains, just around ignorant texting motorized morons.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

fishmonger wrote:ignorant texting motorized morons.
lol

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

how much do you really feel you'd need to be found?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are many reasons I like to be visible. If injured, being easy to find by SAR is good, particularly since I do not carry a cell phone or GPS. When I go out with someone else, and I go off in the afternoon on a exploration hike, they are comforted to see me coming back to camp. When my husband goes fishing (he always gets distracted to the point of not coming back to the tent until dark) I like to see him so I can go fetch him for dinner! And when I climb, being seen on the rock is a safety factor. Example- on East Face of Whitney, you do not want to be climbing below someone. If I am visible, others then know that they could get rocks kicked on them if they choose to climb below me. On snow climbs, in foggy or white-out conditions, you need to stick together and being able to see the other is good. I also like to be seen when I camp because I do not want others to inadvertently camp next to me. And honestly, there have been many times when I was mighty glad to have a bright colored tent so I could find camp after a day's climb. Same with pack- if I drop my pack to do a side trip, a bright colored pack is a lot eaiser to find again. I am not sure if bears see color, but I prefer bears to see me and not be startled. And I am always cheered up when I meet another backpacker in bright colors. I usually take a photo! When you are solo, it is hard to get many photos with people in the foreground. I like creative backpack clothing. Running into a PCT hiker in a bright pink tutu, purple leggings and pyscodelic scarf in her dreadlocks really made my day!