Ladybugs!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Ladybugs!

Post by jessegooddog »

My neighbor and I walked our dogs up the Shepherds Pass trail (Onion Valley) on Sunday and found a swarm of probably hundreds of thousands of ladybugs. The rocks looked like they were moving! We also passed 2 bright orange piles of bear scat, presumably full of rose hips. Great trail on a 50 degree day!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ladybugs!

Post by Jimr »

Cool! My kids and I ran across one of those swarms at Valley Forge (Redbox Canyon) in the Angeles National Forest many years ago. We collected a baggie full and inoculated my garden.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

There's a good California's Gold (TV show) episode about harvesting ladybugs. All the ones sold comercially are gathered by licensed hunters from higher elevations where they gather in swarms such as you witnessed late in the year.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

fourputt wrote:There's a good California's Gold (TV show) episode about harvesting ladybugs. All the ones sold comercially are gathered by licensed hunters from higher elevations where they gather in swarms such as you witnessed late in the year.
Saw that episode!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Ohhhhh ... we sure could use some of them here - the aphids really do a number on a tree here, and on various garden plants...
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

There is a spot 1.7 miles from the end of the road at South Fork (very southern edge of Sequoia NP on the west side) that is aptly named Ladybug. The ground appears to be a solid mass of ladybugs at the right time of the year.
RichardK
Topix Novice

Post by RichardK »

There is a section of Icehouse Canyon (near Mt. Baldy in So Cal) between 1 and 2 miles from the trailhead that has a huge swarm of ladybugs when they are in season.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:Cool! My kids and I ran across one of those swarms at Valley Forge (Redbox Canyon) in the Angeles National Forest many years ago. We collected a baggie full and inoculated my garden.
Not sure you're allowed to collect them if in a NF or a wilderness area. Regs are completely unclear on the matter.