Search?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Search?

Post by oldranger »

I can't find the search window!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Search?

Post by oldranger »

Not sure what happened but it just popped up!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
marti124
Topix Newbie

Post by marti124 »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I can't find the Search Window. how does one find it?

I'm interested in searching for the term "RSS" -- to see if there is a way to follow postings via Google Reader -- I'm able to do that for several backpacking forums I belong to (such as the WhitneyZone and YosemiteInfo and the JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group (where I am currently the lead moderator--and busy on that board most of the time). I like keeping up to date with all things Sierra.

Roleigh Martin

ps - just after posting this I see a "Search" Window but only for one topic / thread. I want to be able to search all of the board, or at least a major category node at one time. I see no search window at those levels.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Top right of every page on the main banner. Big search bar. Big search button. Advanced search link.

Are those not showing up for you?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

I have found the Search but just cant get it to work properly for me.
I went to the BackPacking/Hiking section and then tried a Search for Emigrant Wilderness and every combination return 0 posts/topics. I have also tried Lake Names and get the same 0 return.
I have tried the search from the main page with the same result.

I have used:
emigrant
+emigrant
Emigrant Wilderness
emigrant w
Chain Lakes
etc.
All get 0 results using either search box.

What am I doing wrong?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tested it myself with past keywords.. appears broken.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Checking on it now. The search index is being rebuilt which might be the issue. Will let you all know when the issue is resolved.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Rebuild complete. I tested it with some terms and it seems to work better, but not ideal - terms like 'emigrant wilderness' seem to show up as too common and result in no results ('chain lakes' on the other hand yielded results). Eric and I will play around with modifying the search to overcome this 'too common' problem
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

copeg wrote:Eric and I will play around with modifying the search to overcome this 'too common' problem
Yes, this was the reason for the downtime and attempted search index rebuild last night. Was trying to rebuild it with less restrictions on what it deems to be "too common", but must have gotten hung up somehow. Think Greg might have rebuilt it with a threshold even more restrictive than the original, so might need you all to hang on while we index one more time. We're trying to work through the issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg

Post by copeg »

The search parameters have been updated. It should be fully functional now, with some prior restrictions being lifted.