Middle of Nevada - Alta Toquima Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Foamfinger
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Middle of Nevada - Alta Toquima Wilderness

Post by Foamfinger »

Headed out for a few night in the little-visited Alta Toquima Wilderness. The wilderness area and its namesake Toquima Range are located near the geographic center of Nevada, between Austin and Tonopah. The high point of the wilderness, Mt Jefferson, is home to bighorn sheep and one of the highest archaeological village sites recorded in North America.

Some snow in the upper elevations, plenty of water in the streams, and LOTS of bugs at the lower elevation. In fact, the bugs were so bad at Pine Creek TH I nearly called it quits :mad: . Luckily, we persevered and were rewarded with a fine trip. Didn't see another soul the entire time.

It was also the first time I've ever seen a plastic grocery bag cruising over a mountain range at 11,000'.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551711490CgFfUd
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Not as nice up there as I thought it would be. A guy from Backpacker.com and I were talking about going over to that general area last year in his motorhome so his wife could stay in it. It would have been real expensive.

My folks used to have a lot on the other side of the mountain in Kingston Canyon. I never wanted to inherit it so my mom sold it.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice photos! I thought it was Pine Creek in the Sierra at first! Cute dogs!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

What a gorgeous area!...I had been researching different areas in Nevada & I remember this area. Nevada sure has some pretty places I think. I love your two doggies! they look to be very sweet & happy :D nice that you take them along with you. To bad about the plastic garbage bag :(

May I ask you where you got those wonderful round doggie beds? I would love to get those for our two dogs
Thanks for sharing!
Foamfinger
Topix Novice

Post by Foamfinger »

madeintahoe wrote:What a gorgeous area!...I had been researching different areas in Nevada & I remember this area. Nevada sure has some pretty places I think.
We are big fans of Nevada and were pretty pleased with this trip. I spoke with the Wilderness Tech in Austin and they are planning some trail maintenance this fall in the Alta Toquima as it has been several years. Next time we head out that way we are thinking about Arc Dome or Table Mountain Wilderness - both much larger, with more extensive trail systems - lots of options for longer trips.
I love your two doggies! they look to be very sweet & happy :D nice that you take them along with you.
Thanks! As you can tell, we love 'em, too.
May I ask you where you got those wonderful round doggie beds? I would love to get those for our two dogs
Their beds are made by UhlrGear. We purchased them from a different retailer, but it now seems they sell directly. FYI, our dogs are in the 50-60 lb. range and we use the 24" x 34" beds.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Foamfinger.. Thank you so much for posting the link for the doggie beds! Nice website they have. I like that you can pull back the cover on the beds.

Oh yes I can tell you love your doggies for sure :D I think thats so great, they love you just as much im sure. They are really beautiful. You are so lucky they can go with you....our doggie's Birthday is today they turned 9, but are really slowing down on hikes. I love taking them with me, but now worry that the longer hikes will be to much for them.

Thank you again for the link
wingding

Post by wingding »

Those pictographs are great! I'd like to do the trek to Mount Jefferson someday.