2012 Backpacking Calendar – Looking for July 4th Ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 2012 Backpacking Calendar – Looking for July 4th Ideas

Post by quentinc »

I'd second TIm's recomendation as one of the alternatives. I did the Cottonwood/Miter Basin trip this past summer, 3 weekends before July 4 (I compressed Tim's 4 day itinerary into 3 days). Then, there was quite a bit of snow, but the PCTers had already left a helpful trail of footsteps, except for the Miter Basin part. There are also no dangerous stream crossings -- at most you might have to get your shins wet crossing Rock Creek, but usually one can rock hop.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

"The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne was not possible until late July - August this last year"

Not true. We went through on July 15 this year. The water runoff had already reduced to a level that made the stream crossings safe. And, as you say, this was about the highest snow year on record. So, I'd say in 95% of years, you could get through here on July 4.

- Elizabeth
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

oleander wrote:"The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne was not possible until late July - August this last year"

Not true. We went through on July 15 this year. The water runoff had already reduced to a level that made the stream crossings safe. And, as you say, this was about the highest snow year on record. So, I'd say in 95% of years, you could get through here on July 4.

- Elizabeth
Did you provide a report to the rangers that it was possible? That's not what they were saying. While they do tend to be cautionary they don't typically tell people something isn't possible.

Perhaps you should elaborate too on what the trail was like - not everyone likes that one section where early in the melt you have to wade calf deep in snowmelt water and mud. Couple of friends turned back and got a different permit rather than wade.

My trips down the GCT have been later in the year, and the only concern after the water's dropped is doing the exposed switchbacks up from Pate to WW in the early morning, so you don't die of heat on the granite.
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

When considering airports and car rentals, don't forget Ontario. I live 6 miles from there and it takes 3 hr, 15 minutes to get to downtown Bishop from my house w/no traffic...(Just hope for no CHP on 395). A little less to Lone Pine.