TR: Mineral King, Black Rock Pass, Sawtooth Pass loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pavel
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Mineral King, Black Rock Pass, Sawtooth Pass loop

Post by pavel »

Hi,

We were looking forward to magnificent lakes and mountains, but as the summer was approaching the record snowcap would not thaw, while our holliday and tickets were fixed. So we set out on this loop July 3- July 7, 2011. The good part was no mosquitous and no people and sledging down the Black Rock pass on the backpacks. Camping alongside frozen icecube was less thrilling, from day 2 we were mostly in wet shoes. I will just post couple of photos to illustrate the trail and the conditions - it was in any case awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mineral King, Black Rock Pass, Sawtooth Pass loop

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Beautiful photos. You must have got hit by that big storm that got me from July 4th - 6th.

Maybe I saw you around as I was hanging out at Silver City Resort most of the day on July 7th.
pavel
Topix Novice

Post by pavel »

Yes, in those days we were setting our tents and waiting several hours for the storms to clear.... Unfortunatelly on our way back we did not stop in Silver City as our friends were in a hurry and we then moved to Ansel Adams Wilderness - the landscape and concept of National Parks in the USA is so fantastic.... Pavel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

That second picture is just beautiful! :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yes it is...but they are all nice!

Thanks for posting.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Looks ethereal. Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing your report!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Beautiful photos, Pavel. You should see Black Rock Pass later in the summer - it's a hot, dusty slog but still beautiful :-)
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Great photos - looks like you definitely made the best of both the snowy conditions and the poor weather. Glad to see you'll be back for more!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Great pictures! I have done that route twice, but never in those conditions, which shows you that different conditions can give you a totally different experience.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nilsy
Topix Newbie

Post by Nilsy »

Great pictures. I imagine that the snow in the long valley just before you start the climb up to Sawtooth must have been pretty deep. Thanks for sharing with us.