Evolution Basin in November

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Evolution Basin in November

Post by quentinc »

A little frostbite was a small price to pay. :)

Timberline
Topix Regular

Re: Evolution Basin in November

Post by Timberline »

Super image, amigo! Evolution has to be one of the most unique lakes in the Sierra, IMHO. What made it special for me was encountering a family of backpackers - husband, wife, little kid - on the morning we passed thru on the JMT. The youngest had just lost his first tooth the night before, but all were enthusiastically hell bent for Muir Pass, as were we. You meet great people on the trail, eh?

What a wonderful time to be there and capture that image. Well done, and thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Nilsy
Topix Newbie

Post by Nilsy »

Beautiful shot - when was it taken? Did you head up to Sapphire and Wanda? Any ice on them?
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

You're a brave soul for venturing out there this late. Nice shot!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks all. This was taken on November 1.

I was hoping to hike up as far as Muir Pass but ran out of time (and daylight) and had to turn around at the small lake between Sapphire and Wanda. There wasn't any ice on Sapphire and I doubt there was any on Wanda either. The lakelet north of Lamarck Col (see below) was iced over, though. Other than a few dayhikers before Piute Lake, I didn't see anyone for 3-1/2 days.

Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Impressive!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Looks like you got in just in time before this current storm hit- congrats! Your photos create envy, but keep em coming
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Another envious one. I'd love to hear more details and see more photos.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks LMBSGV. I can do a brief trip report. I did a circle out of North Lake, going over Piute and coming back via Lamarck Col. The dusting of snow made everything really beautiful. Here's Piute Lake.

After Hutchinson Meadow, though, the Piute trail becomes downright sadistic (endless, needless up and down, pointless hairpin turns, and I'm convinced they hauled in tons of talus to scatter it along the trail).

Once on the Muir Trail, Goddard Canyon, with the San Joaquin River cutting through, is lovely.

How cold was it? Well, let's just say I could have used ice skates for this part of the trail:

A great pool along the climb up Evolution Creek:

McClure Meadow:

On my last night, I camped at Evolution Lake (picture at beginning of thread). That afternoon I had a little time to dayhike further up the trail. This is Mt. Huxley, which I think is my favorite mountain in the world:

I made it as far as the lake between Sapphire and Wanda, and made it back to my campsite just before dusk:

Next morning, I went out via Darwin Bench, and I swear it didn't break 20 degrees that morning until I finally made it into the sunlight at 9:30. Here's a view from Darwin Bench:

There's a picture from Lamarck Col earlier in this thread. The snow after the Col was quite bizarre, having been sculpted by the wind into something resembling Venetian blinds:

Fortunately, there were many footprints, because there was a surprising amount of snow well below the Col. I got back to my car a few minutes after dusk. I have perfected the art of playing chicken with the sun. :)
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

quentinc wrote:A little frostbite was a small price to pay. :)

I think I have a photo of my last external frame pack propped up on that very same rock in the foreground! Beautiful photos.