Whitney solo dayclimb

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Whitney solo dayclimb

Post by Snow Nymph »

Doug Sr said this was a good day to do it

Microspikes for the switchbacks

Follow tracks up

Caught up to hikers after the cables

View from Trail Crest

Mt Whitney and the needles

made it!

I get to go back down the same way

Weather and conditions were perfect! I saw only 12 people on the trail. :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Whitney solo dayclimb

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Your bio says you live in Mammoth Lakes and Santa Barbara. That is very lucky- I am green with envy. It is nice to be so close to Whitney that when the window of weather opens you can slip in for a fabulous day! Nice photos too. You must have done some hiking in the dark, or did you still have good moonlight early AM? How do you like the microspikes? I am considering getting some. I have some failry light crampons but still hesitate to take them because "light" when talking about crampons is still over a pound. And crampons are a pain to carry.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Wow what a wonderful trip and pics! You rock- great inspiration for the coming dreary months here in Seattle. And WD- I hear you about crampons- in these conditions they are often just "too much spike." Curious myself what best options are.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks! Yes, we have two homes, and now that I'm retired, I'm spending more time in Mammoth. Staying acclimatized in Mammoth is nice since I have a hard time the first couple of days after being at sea level. Plus gas prices are high, so better to take advantage of the time there. :D

I started at 4:39am in the dark and hiked out in daylight (6:28pm). By the time I got to Outpost Camp it was getting light, so not too much hiking in the dark. Not fast, but my knees didn't hurt at all and I was able to walk the next day without limping.

I love the Microspikes! I wore them on the trail when the snow disappeared and reappeared for short distances. I wouldn't have done that with the crampons. Most of the time I couldn't feel the Microspikes, so nice! They slip on and off easily. I hook them to my pack with a carabiner and tuck in the small pocket. Really convenient. Another plus is that I was able to glissade with them on (when I did Dragon Pk in July). The spikes are small, so it didn't catch on to anything.

I only saw 12 people on the trail and the weather was perfect, so it was a good time to go.

MORE PIX: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Sierra-Nev ... 22_s6pvQ9M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Looks like a great day to summit. Used my yaktrax for the first time, a week earlier than your trip, loved them. I was a bit rough on them in the rocky areas and broke a piece of rubber that feeds through the spiral wire but REI gave me a new pair. While hiking everyone kept asking how do you like those and I said wait till I get down and I'll tell you, did'nt want to fall on my ass after saying how good they were. Micro spikes look like they would work better in harder ice than the yak trax, I'll have to try them.
Dave
kingofthemountains
Topix Novice

Post by kingofthemountains »

looks like a great climb, good pics and thanks for the review on the micro spikes. Been thinking about getting a pair of these for when crampons are too much.