"Infinity Pool" Views

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: "Infinity Pool" Views

Post by Mike M. »

CG: I think the view is toward the back (south) side of the Kaweahs, in the direction of the Big Arroyo (I don't have my map with me; did I get that right?). I took a bunch of photos during the same trip from the same vantage point, and that is what we thought we were looking at. A more open shot, without the Mt. Chamberlain ridge in the foreground, would show the main Kaweah ridge on the right, with the Big Arroyo visible to the left. If my memory serves me, this spot is roughly 8 miles (as the crow flies) SE of where the Colby Pass trail intersects the Kern River.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

CG, I stand corrected. I went back and looked at my maps and I think that is Picket Guard Peak at the right of Van's picture.

Below is a more open view, showing (I think) Picket Guard in the middle of the frame. Kern Peak is slightly to the right, with the jagged peaks in the vicinity of Milestone/Midway/Table to the far right.

Mike

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Mike,
Yep, that computes now. I think you may have given me inspiration for an early season trip for next year. I spent way too little time in that basin on my only previous visit, and those long views of the Kaweahs and nearby peaks are grand.
Thanks,
cg
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Yes, that is Picket Guard and Milestone to the north. The Kaweahs were blocked by the ridge in the foreground. Van
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Lake Mary.jpg
Reviewing photos for TR and discovered this one. click on it for higher resolution.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great shot OR, too bad the fish rings are not just a little more to the left.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
raphus
Topix Novice

Post by raphus »

Here's my favorite "infinity pool", Crozet lake.
DSCN0333.JPG
Since you might be curious where this lake might be, here's another shot in daylight. Le lac du Crozet, one of the most popular lake here around Grenoble, in the French Alps, with a great view of the wonderful Chartreuse range across the lake.
DSCN0385.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tim
Topix Expert

Infinity ice rinks too?

Post by tim »

Infinity ice rink.jpg
Not the greatest of shots, but with the ice having expanded, it definitely looked like the outflow from the lake could have gone almost anywhere