Big Sur trip (6 Pics)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Big Sur trip (6 Pics)

Post by copeg »

Spent the weekend in Big Sur. We camped near San Martin Top and the heat and bugs were almost unbearable. The wildflowers closer to the coast were pretty amazing. We hiked in Garrapata SP on Sunday and the hills above the coast were covered in all sorts of wildflowers.
Some pics:
View from camp on San Martin Top

Camp beneath the stars

Garrapata SP, the hills were covered in flowers

doug395
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by doug395 »

Very cool pictures, those are awesome flowers for this late in the season. Your camp on San Martine Top – is that a drive in camp or a primitive hike in camp, that’s a pretty great view of the coast. Like the night shot, how long of an exposure did you use.
copeg

Post by copeg »

doug395 wrote:Very cool pictures, those are awesome flowers for this late in the season. Your camp on San Martine Top – is that a drive in camp or a primitive hike in camp, that’s a pretty great view of the coast. Like the night shot, how long of an exposure did you use.
Thanks doug. The flowers were a definite surprise - esp. for late June!

The camp on San Martin Top is a primitive drive in, 4wd and high clearance was a must to reach this one, and no one around.

The exposure on the night shot was 487 seconds. I've been experimenting with these night shots lately - for this one i used a flash, then jumped in the tent with headlamp on for a bit. Here's another one facing north that was 26'. The level of noise from the digital camera ruined the color and I didn't do a "dark" exposure to compensate, so I took the green channel and converted to b&w
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Wow, those really are amazing shots.

I wonder what type of camera setup you are using?
ifernau
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ifernau »

Those are really beautiful images. What a pleasant surprise finding wild flowers. Good job on the shot with the tend and star trails.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Shawn and Inge. The wildflowers were a huge surprise. Shawn, i'm using a canon digital rebel XT. I think a lot of these shots were with a 17-40mm f4.0L lens.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice evening shot! And the flowers are beautiful!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg

Post by copeg »

thanks Snowy!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

trailblazer wrote:Thanks Shawn and Inge. The wildflowers were a huge surprise. Shawn, i'm using a canon digital rebel XT. I think a lot of these shots were with a 17-40mm f4.0L lens.
That settles it; I must get a new camera. Maybe that way I'd stand half a chance at getting a better shot. The colors just look so brilliant in your photos.