TR: Tiltill Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Tiltill Creek

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I personally think the Lake Vernon loop is over-rated. It is a lot of work to visit one mediocre lake. Earlier in the season, when wildflowers are out it is better than now. I do not recall a good water source at Beehive right now- you would have to go over to Frog Creek. The walk along Hetch Hetchy is scenic, but neither Rancheria Falls or Tiltill Valley are particularly scenic spots to camp. Rancheria has better campsites and water source. The entire hike from Rancheria Falls to Lake Vernon is very hot and dry. There is water in Tiltill Creek but it is running quite low. I would do it counter-clockwise, with the option to stay first night at Rancheria Falls (with probably time to drop to Hetch Hetchy to fish) or go on to Tiltill Valley if you prefer more time at Lake Vernon. It is an easy 4-5 hour hike from Lake Vernon out via Beehive. I would not worry about being stuck at the bridge at Wapama. It would take quite a storm to make it unsafe, and even in that rare event, water should receed in a day. There is a nice flat about quarter mile east of the bridge where you could camp in an emergency, carrying water up from the falls.

If you had someone to drop you off and pick you up, a better 3-day hike would be the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been to Rancheria Falls before (as an out and back to LeConte Point) and it was quite pleasant if you get the exposed campsite with the view down the reservoir (we figured that out the second day after camping in the trees with the skeeters the first night). Maybe I'll think about alternatives (unfortunately not GCT because I'll be on my own) - I'm mainly trying to figure out options that involve staying fairly low, assuming its going to get colder quite soon.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

, little lakes and following the beautiful creek until the point where it leaps over the cliffs south to Lake Vernon. The “plan” was to descend the rocky slabs next to the creek, but I was not sure it would work and my appetite for adventure was low at this point
I did this in June of this year, it was a stroll. Only we decended a ways past where the cascade is. I remember a slabby open area. I really don't remember exactly where, but if anyone is interested I do have a few pictures and can easily pinpoint it. It was easy by staying right.

If I had any skill at all with ropes I'd be all over your crazy schemes. I am quite content even through manzanita and thorns. :evil:
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for the trip report, WD. My limited time in that area convinced me 1) Jack Main Canyon is beautiful, and 2) Cross country travel is a lot more difficult at 6500 feet than at 10000 feet! (My first trip to NW Yosemite--I had only ever done high elevation East side trips before.)

I also looked down Falls Creek and contemplated following it down to the cabin and to Vernon, but opted to take the long way on the trail. The previous day I did come up Falls Creek from the snow cabin, on the left bank--about half way to the top. Beautiful granite friction slabs with torrents of water to my right.

Later I bumped into someone who had come down and told me that he thought it was not that difficult, so I always wondered if I should have tried it.

As for whether the loop is overrated--I would agree that the loop itself is not as spectacular as the higher elevation trips I have done. Jack Main, however, is a gem and worth a trip in my opinion. The thing that makes the loop engaging is that it can be done so much earlier than high elevation trips--that region gives me an extra month on the backpacking season!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Given the distribution of sand and driftwood throughout Jack Main Canyon plus some photos by Hetchy of the canyon early in the season (a few years back) and despite the low elevation I would think twice about any early season trip that involves crossing Falls Creek. Apparently even the bridge below Vernon can have water washing over it.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

oldranger wrote:Given the distribution of sand and driftwood throughout Jack Main Canyon plus some photos by Hetchy of the canyon early in the season (a few years back) and despite the low elevation I would think twice about any early season trip that involves crossing Falls Creek. Apparently even the bridge below Vernon can have water washing over it.

Mike
True. I would check here and with the rangers before trying anything too early. My trip was in the 3rd week in June in 2010. The approach to the bridge at Vernon was under water in the 2nd week of June. And it would not have been safe to cross Falls Creek elsewhere for weeks, probably. But that is still about a month earlier than the places I was used to going.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I did a lot of early season days in Kindrick's, Jack Main and vicinity. It was really cool reading about it as a late season trip. I fished that area a lot all the way up to the pass at Pealer Lake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Great report. Your account really shows what NW Yosemite off trail hiking is all about. Nasty brush, big talus, slabs--the charm and curse of the Sierra's Bermuda Triangle, to be sure.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I have been to the Brannigan lakes via a "standard way" and down/out next to the falls. Fun. The largest lake is very nice.
You can drop down from Jack Main to Vernon Lake: it gets a bit steep, but it is all granite pavement, and it is another fun way to get to Vernon.
I have been up from the top of Wapoma Falls and along Falls Creek to Vernon, and the route is surprisingly easy. After passing through a nice pocket valley that was an indian summer camp, the route passes a beautiful cascade. Beyond the cascade is the only choke point, with fallen trees to maneuver around or under (it might be better now). After that you trend upward and aim for the small pond at the edge of the canyon near the trail to the north. I may be using this route next year to avoid snow. I have pictures naturally.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bumped this up since there seems to be interest.