Mountain Bed

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
fishhunter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Mountain Bed

Post by fishhunter »

I'd recommend the trip over Kaiser Pass, then stay at Mono Hot Springs resort.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

I had a thirty-two foot motorhome, too big for the mountains. A nice 22' motorhome can travel on most roads in the Sierra. I think most campgrounds will fit the smaller motorhome. The big ones are nice, but you have to stay at an RV park. Hope this helps.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I guess if it was me I'd aim to sleep in a resort or motel in a town close to the High Sierra rather than in an RV, given that this removes the worry of finding a campsite to accommodate it, or worse having to stay in an RV park which seems to me far less pleasant than a nice hotel room in a place such as Bishop, Mammoth, June Lake, Lee Vining, Bridgeport, or other East side town. The various high country lodges mentioned are nice, although some, such as TPR I believe, get booked well in advance.

Your dad sounds a lot my late dad who would be 83 if still alive today, if he's former Loma Prieta Chapter, he probably knew my dad (whose ashes are in fact scattered in the High Sierra). Enjoy your trip(s) with your dad. The Sierra trips I took with my dad are among my all time fondest memories, ranging from serious death marches to our very last hiking trip in which we stayed at a motel in South Lake Tahoe.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daddysgirl
Topix Newbie

Post by daddysgirl »

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips. After careful consideration I decided to pass on the RV idea. I'm worried about mechanical problems, hoses and gadgets that may distract and frustrate. I've noted some of the suggestions as possibilities for family trips. My Dad and I will stay in Hotels and cabins. The planned route is up over Sonora Pass, stopping at Pinecrest where he used to have a cabin, down to Toms Place where we will stay for a few days (lots of great roads in that area, Rock Creek Rd, Convict Lake etc) then back up and over Tioga Pass, Tuolumne Meadows and perhaps Yosemite. We leave next week and the weather looks perfect! He is very excited and has gotten all his old green maps out of storage. He told me that he is bringing a chair and that if we find some nice spots, he's sittin' awhile... :cool:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

You're dad's a lucky man! I can only hope my daughter will feel the same way about me when I'm too old to move around well. For many years, I told my wife I wanted my ashes scattered over Ionian Basin. She had no idea how she was going to accomplish that task. Then we had kids. One day, out of the blue, while we were passing a cemetery, I told her I'd changed my mind. I wanted to be buried so my kids had a headstone to P!ss on after their counseling sessions. Now that they're teens. They can find their own rock to P!ss on. I want Ionian Basin.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.