Tehipite Valley in late August--Stream crossing info

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BlueMan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Tehipite Valley in late August--Stream crossing info

Post by BlueMan »

I thought a lot of things. And yes, I took photos. Wanna see them? The bugs were out of this world bad. On par with Alaska, maybe. Ants, gnats, flies, mozis, wasps . . . every freaking annoying insect you can imagine. The mozis were particularly bad. I was bit hundreds of times, no kidding. The hike in sucked. It was ugly, hot, and buggy. All the trees down made for slow going. We got a late afternoon start or we would have been in the valley the first day. If the trees were cleared you could make it pretty quick, I'd imagine.

Once we got to the valley overlook it all seemed worthwhile. Damn. That's one fine looking valley. The descent into the valley itself I didn't think was all that bad compared to the rest of the trail. But, it has it's problems to be certain. We only saw two snakes and bear tracks. One other party was there with us. They were quite nice. The river is beautiful. I'd love to kayak it someday (gonna have to master the whitewater thing first). I really enjoyed the views. Particularly of the gorge of despair--I saw a peak up there that I really want to climb and saw the potential for what looked to be some amazing canyoneering routes. I'd love to go try them. We found that the heat of the valley was quite energy sapping during the day and spend most of our time lounging around camp and fishing. I'd like to come back sometime when it isn't quite so hot.

When we left we made it back to the car in one painful day. The mozis were insane. The worst of the entire trip. Nothing fazed those little blood suckers. I'm coming back. I need to summit the dome, I've been thinking about trying to climb the obelisk. And perhaps, if my dreams come try I'll learn how to aid climb and try one of the seldom done aid routes on the face.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

And yes, I took photos. Wanna see them?
What do you think?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
BlueMan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by BlueMan »

Many of my photos didn't turn out all that well, but here are three.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Going to Tehipiti Valley for me this year was mostly a miserable experience. Just getting there it was hot and the flies were so bad I had to resort to taping mesh I cut off my pack onto my forehead to cover my eyes. Then the mosquitoes were horrible also and this was the end of September.