Old Trail to Sharktooth Lake and beyond

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Old Trail to Sharktooth Lake and beyond

Post by atreehugger »

While taking the very faint trail from Big Margaret Lake to Fish Valley came upon an old trail sign indicating another trail which I have been unable to locate on any maps.
P1110143.JPG
P1110142.JPG
Has anyone else seen this sign or know anything about this trail and its location from Silver Creek, where the pics were taken, to Minnow Creek?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Old Trail to Sharktooth Lake and beyond

Post by TehipiteTom »

Interesting. Looks like the Forest Service base map might show it (see here and here).

I checked out the online topo, and it looks like it may have been on the Sharktooth Peak quad (which just has two short stretches of the trail), but not on the next quad north.
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Old Trail to Sharktooth Lake and beyond

Post by atreehugger »

Thanks Tom. Thats the trail. It goes to Sarktooth Lake. There was no evidence of this trail when I was at the intersection. No tread or ducks (although I didn't look around a whole lot).
The trail along Silver Ck from Big Margaret down should be considered a xc experience with some tread and ducks visible (70% of time) ...definitely faint...must have a sharp eye and not worry about being on a trail every bit of the way. If you wander around enough in the general direction, you will find something, maybe.
I think going to Sharktooth Lake is definitely xc. I wonder if there ever was an official trail from Sharktooth Lake down to Minnow Ck...maybe just a xc route. When I came up the trail from Iva Bell HS, along Sharktooth Ck, I kept my eyes open for where there might be something cutting off from the trail and following the creek up in the direction of Sharktooth Lake. I think this might be the route to take. Only obstacles in this xc route would be the the trees that are down and other vegetation. I don't think the trail headed to Lost Keys Lake. Maybe a journey to take in the future after a call to the Forest Service to pick their brain.
The link to the topo is great as it shows the actual route to Sharktooth Lake. It also shows an old trail that goes from near Lake Edison (Onion Springs Rd/tr ) up and over Saddle Mt to near Big Margaret. This trail has also been reclaimed by vegetation.
Its a shame these old trails have been lost thru lack of use and maintenance.