Rae Lakes Loop- PLUS

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lakes Loop- PLUS

Post by Cross Country »

I loved your trip report because they're all places I've been, WP Lake 4 times. Like you, my wife (saint) Diane and I hiked up to go over to Arrow Creek (a place I later went with Mike) and changed our mind because of a building storm and the time of day (too late). On another trip we (the Ivies and I) hiked from WP over to and down the White Fork to the Woods Creek Junction in a day. I took a total of 6 (maybe 7) trips into this area. Seeing your pics was a treat that brought back many memories. Thank you! The weather on your trip was one of many reasons I'm glad I was a school teacher. I always took my high country trips in July and Aug. and if the weather was bad I'd just go back home until it got a lot better.

Steve and Steve Fisher at Window Peak Lake.
PS: The four of us ate all of those fish (not in one meal).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

great trip report daisy, thanks for sharing.

i have abandoned my stephensons warmlite tent because it had "icing" problems and poor performance in the rain and have returned to my old trusty northface nebula & roadrunner. although heavier, the northface sure does stay dry in the downpours! which tent do you have?

and yes, lake 3400 in gardiner is awesome.... like a hanging lake and it's got an awesome sunset.
i've spent some good times there on two trips.
richapple
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by richapple »

Wow, Wandering Daisy, great TR even though I won't get a chance to really read it and soak it all in until later. But yikes, I thought I'd be doing well to have our TR (Paradise to Window Peak Lake then down to JMT and up to Woods Lake for a couple days then out Paradise for a 10 day total trip) by mid October...

If your "Mr. Bear" was a totally black bear but with a white splash on the neck/chest, could easily have been the Mama Bear we watched for 40 minutes or so at lower Paradise. Just across the creek north of the rocky beach... I did put a clip on YouTube:

At the "channel" for that (thejohnmuirtrail) there's also some nice deer from the same camp and a rattlesnake we saw on the way in...

On our hike in a couple guys told us they watched that black bear actually nurse her less-than-super-young cubs. Of course you may have seen a different bear! Totally black black bears are rare in the Sierras 'cuz lighter colors handle the heat better (I've heard). I've seen many more cinnamon and/or brown-blonde bears. Not that we've seen enough bears!

And hey, it was nice to meet you up there!

Apple
richapple
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great report, WD. Especially lovely pictures in the pre- and post-storm lighting.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Very nice report as always, Daisy. I am going to have to break out a map and follow along and daydream.