Major Snow Storm 10/4-5/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Major Snow Storm 10/4-5/11

Post by maverick »

Heads up for those who have not been looking at the weather forecast.
Winter Storm Watch in effect, with Tue and Wed have some extreme weather.

Here is the current NWS update:
"***THIS SYSTEM WILL BE ESPECIALLY HAZARDOUS FOR HIKERS AND OUTDOOR
ENTHUSIASTS IN THE SIERRA NEVADA WHERE HEAVY SNOW, MUCH COLDER
TEMPERATURES AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE FOR POTENTIALLY LIFE
THREATENING CONDITIONS FOR ANYONE UNPREPARED FOR WINTER
WEATHER...PLEASE BE PREPARED OR POSTPONE TRAVEL INTO THE
MOUNTAINS UNTIL THE STORM PASSES***

LATEST QPF STRONGLY SUGGESTS UP TO 2 FEET OF SNOW OVER THE HIGH
COUNTRY AND SEVERAL INCHES TO OVER ONE FOOT OF SNOW DOWN TO THE
7000 FOOT LEVEL BEFORE THE STORM MOVES EAST ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
OVER THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY RAINS WILL BE AT HEAVY AT TIMES
WEDNESDAY AND AMOUNTS IN THE .40-.90" WILL BE COMMON. THIS SYSTEM
WILL HAVE MUCH COLDER AIR AND HIGHS WILL STRUGGLE TO MAKE IT
THROUGH THE 60S IN LOWER ELEVATIONS ON WEDNESDAY AND EVEN
THURSDAY."
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Major Snow Storm 10/4-5/11

Post by cgundersen »

mav,
i originally read this as october 4th through may 5th; well, if this is the lead off storm, it could be a long winter, but maybe not THAT long.... anyway, i got it the second time around!
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi CG

2 feet of snow for the first storm is pretty significant, we'll see how long Tioga will be
closed for with the highs being only in the 30's Wed, and Thur.
Was planning to go up the 12th-17th, but we'll see how much of the leaves are left on
the aspens after the high winds, and whether the weather will be conducive to fall
photography at all.
Guess if the colors/leaves are gone by the time of my visit will head up to Dusy, if no major
system is predicted for that time.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bwang
Topix Novice

Post by bwang »

Temps are supposed to rebound with high pressure and warm temps this weekend. Any thoughts on how long 1-2 feet of snow will linger? We are thinking of hiking out of Yosemite Valley on Sat morning (10/8) for 3-4 day trip. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bwang

Welcome to HST!
The lower elevations, like the Valley, should be fine, especially since the temps
mentioned above was for 9100 ft.
With the temps being more moderate, and the snow accumulation levels being
less at lower elevations you may be okay, though it all so depends on where
(elevations) you where planning to visit, you may have to rethink your itinerary
according to your groups comfort, and experience levels.
Call the Yosemite wilderness office a day or two before your trip, and hopefully
they can give you some current backcountry conditions to the area your planning
to visit, or at least give you some info that you can work with.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Storm's forecast to have moved out by noon Thursday that gives that afternoon and all Friday for pass roads to melt off. Additionally snow levels are 7.5k to 8k in the central and southern Sierra areas which is not that low. So expect the passes to open up maybe by Saturday even if accumulation are moderately significant. At this time of year early snows tend to melt upward quickly due to warmer ground temps. As for fall leaves, I would not worry about leaves blowing off unless one was thinking of the upper Bishop Creek areas that have this past week shown to be well into color changes. Despite noted reports from Bishop Creek, from what I've seen, doesn't look like the more important aspen groves would be at peak there this weekend anyway. Leaves don't easily fall off from wind while still green. Regardless one can expect some impatient photographers to drive all the way over there. When this was discussed a month ago, I expected leaves to likely turn late this year except in drier sunnier exposures and that seems to be the situation now.
bwang
Topix Novice

Post by bwang »

Maverick - Thanks for the info. I have decent experience summer backpacking and winter touring (using AT skis), but never gone out after a 2 foot october dump before!
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Wonder what the road conditions to South Lake will be like.Do they clear it like they do with Aspendell.Would like to chk out bishop pass via snowshoeing?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

I am planning on going backpacking somewhere this weekend.. probably somewhere up in Sequoia or KC. Mosquito Lakes or maybe even Dinkey Lakes. I know there will still be snow above 8000. But if I can find something south facing or exposed it could be a cool weekend to be up in the hills!

I would love to go somewhere 7000-8500 with views. How high is the Tablelands?
Any suggestions?
Living On Kaweah Time
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

iHartMK wrote:
I would love to go somewhere 7000-8500 with views. How high is the Tablelands?
Tablelands ranges from about 9800 ft starting from above Pear Lake to about
10500 ft at Moose Lake, and peaks out near 11200 ft on it's eastern side above Big Bird Lake.