TR- A stroll over the Kings-Kern Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR- A stroll over the Kings-Kern Divide

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

SSSdave wrote:Quite a challenging route crossing north. Recently planned out a trip for coming years to return up to the East Creek headwaters and have been considering looping over Deerhorn instead of just rambling back down EC.

Ought to be able see most of your route on this aerial image, click it to go huge:

http://www.summitpost.org/kings-kern-di ... 3/c-181678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That photo is very, very cool as a way to revisit where we've traveled. Make sure to keep zooming in.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

desertdawg wrote:...Dave, Very cool picture of the area....
...and did you see that lunker golden trout sucking down a grasshopper on Lake South America? ;)
desertdawg
Topix Acquainted

Post by desertdawg »

SSSdave wrote:
desertdawg wrote:...Dave, Very cool picture of the area....
...and did you see that lunker golden trout sucking down a grasshopper on Lake South America? ;)

I don't fish but I was amazed at the number of fish seen at all the lakes, particularly the Vidette Lakes.

ps. I know your comment was in reference to the photo but it reminded of how many fish we saw jumping every day.

Wow Dave I just went to your photo again, i didn't realize it was click-able. That was fun!! Thanks again for posting that link.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

It was great reading your report and viewing your photos. I did a small section of what you did (Kearsarge/Forester Passes) earlier this month so it was great to read/see another perspective. It's an amazing area for sure. I'll try to post a (shorter) TR of my own eventually :)
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Great photos of Harrison, that pass looks gnarly.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I did not have the confidence to down climb with my pack on so I lowered my pack 50 feet then we resumed the down climb.
That's a great photo. Have you guys ever seen this listing of Sierra Passes?

http://sierrabackpacker.com/sierrapasses-new.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what he has to say about Deerhorn & Harrison:

Deerhorn: Class 2
Harrison: Class 2. Steep and icy on north side. Consider this a class 2+.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Hobbes wrote:That's a great photo. Have you guys ever seen this listing...This is what he has to say about Deerhorn & Harrison:

Deerhorn: Class 2
Harrison: Class 2. Steep and icy on north side. Consider this a class 2+.
An additional resource is our new HST Map - centered over these 2 particular passes: HST Map
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

It may just be me, but the label for Harrison Pass on that (yes, superb expandable) photo posted by SSSDave looks to be misplaced. The label looks closer to where Ericsson Pass is, but even Ericsson Pass is a bit further south on that ridge. My recollection is that the ridgeline where the HP label sits is something that might require a bit of technical climbing, or some very astute navigation. I'm pretty sure HP is further East on that ridgeline. Ditto for Junction Pass. The route I've taken goes to the west of the uppermost lake in Center Basin. You'd be in for a tough scramble where the current label sits.
cg
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Very nice high alititude pics. That Harrison Pass looks like a challenge with a pack!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Great TR! I still owe myself to go to that area of SeKi. I've been dying to go for years now! Can you please break it down where you camped day by day and the mileage you did each day? I'm planning on finally doing it next summer giving myself 5 days too and possibly a side trip to Mt Brewer if we can get to Lake Reflection on time

Thanks