North Lake campground now closed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

North Lake campground now closed

Post by rlown »

North Lake campground closed on Sept 18th. We only noticed the posting on the way out on the 19th. That means the gate 1/3 mile down the road to the parking lot is locked, so, just a heads up if anyone is heading that direction.
Roscoe_1101
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: North Lake campground now closed

Post by Roscoe_1101 »

Can you still park alongside the road near the gate?

Thanks for the heads up. Heading out of there on Sunday.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the trailhead parking near the packer station is still open. just the campground approach road is closed. It was kind of a let-down on our way out to have to make that walk thrice to get to the car. The empty campground should have been a dead giveaway :retard:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice to see that one can count on the NF site to be update, because according to
there site the campground is still open as of today. :rolleyes:
Why operate the site if you cannot update it accordingly. :\
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... Campground" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It was a cute little beige sign, handwritten and stuck on the far right side of the campground board. I should have read that board when I saw no people in the campground, but after 7+ miles that morning, I just wanted to get to the truck. I didn't check the bathrooms to see if they were locked..
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

maverick wrote:Nice to see that one can count on the NF site to be update, because according to
there site the campground is still open as of today. :rolleyes:
Why operate the site if you cannot update it accordingly. :\
Yeah... I ran into something similar recently while reading up on trails in the vicinity of Desolation Wilderness ... the USFS site indicated something like "closed due to snow" ... obviously a left-over from last winter/spring. Guess the USFS budgets must be really hurting :(.
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by zorobabel »

rlown wrote:It was a cute little beige sign, handwritten and stuck on the far right side of the campground board. I should have read that board when I saw no people in the campground, but after 7+ miles that morning, I just wanted to get to the truck. I didn't check the bathrooms to see if they were locked..
They were open 10/26 in the afternoon :).