Coyote Pass...not that one.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Coyote Pass...not that one.

Post by Tom »

I did a search and found Coyote Pass near Mineral King and Chagoopa area.

However, I am trying to find info concerning the Coyote Pass that connects the Crown Creek/Valley area to Blue Canyon.

I am going to be in that area next week and would love to turn an out and back trip into a loop. My wife is a novice backpacker (third year) and I have done Sierra trails since 1966. We did Italy Pass last year so I know she can physically handle a class 2 pass. I have done almost a dozen class 2 passes since starting backpacking.

However, I am (much) older and slower and would need some good info before considering this northern Coyote Pass. The topos that I have are informative and yet each one has different places where the trail picks up again on the West side.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coyote Pass...not that one.

Post by copeg »

Never been over it, but I'd be interested to hear info on this pass as well. Have eyed it for as long as Blue Canyon has been in my crosshairs.
FWIW, here's a link to the pass on our map - which I will update with any appropriate information provided in this thread: Coyote Pass on the HST Map
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I assume you have read what sector had to say about it? If not I can quote the paragraph if you wish. Is it bad form to quote a guide book on a public forum?
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

I am unfamiliar with Sector. What guidebook would that be?

I have stubbornly (and maybe foolishly) planned all of my trips from maps. Most of the info not on maps has been word of mouth or over the years proximity. By proximity I mean being in the area on other trips.
JohnS
Topix Acquainted

Post by JohnS »

Your Coyote Pass is mentioned in the Crown Creek/Traverse from Finger Peak. http://www.summitpost.org/tunemah-peak/154899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I am the same way Tom, but have found the internet to be a useful tool. Sometimes too useful. I like to have a sense of the unknown on my travels.
Check your private messages, I didn't want to blast info even though it isn't much, I think its enough to do the pass, and have fun with it, instead of just following others footsteps. Hopefully someone will chime in with personal experience, as that is most helpful....at least I'm sure your wife would appreciate it.
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Writing about this is almost fun. One year (saint) Diane and I did a trip from Wishon into South Goddard Creek (another year we did more or less this from Courtright). We hiked from the top of Crown creek (interesting lakes there, like no others in the Sierra - for me). Hiking down the creek was an adventure - water slides, scenery and fishing. We passed Coyote Pass. My curiosoty made me study it carefully (I hiked up it aways). This was fortunate for me because on a trip with Mike, MANY years later (his older brothor Jim wasn't even a twinkle in my eye then - not close).

The many years (18) later Mike (the skinny studly, 12yo) and I embarked on a (maybe epic) trip. We started from a trailhead early in the morning and kicked a__ until the trail intersected and deadended at Septer Creek (lots of fish in Scepter Creek) The next day we continued as thought the trail kept going more of less East. In fact there was a packer trail that continued East. We found it and hiked on it for maybe 30 of 40 minutes and at the end of the trail encountered a group of horsemen (cowboys) in a camp in the middle of nowhere (that was very interesting - and inclluded a woman). We talked for awhile (I always seek information). We continued to Crown creek which proved to be the hike that tested my skill more than any in my life. During the following 4-5 hours we were in the forest and I could see almost nothing to show me (visually) where we were. We emerged almost exactly on on target at Crown Creek. We continued to Blue Canyon over Mantle (?) Pass and arrived in Blue Canyon - Late

We continued to Tunemah 2 days later (another story)

On our way out from Tunamah L. we hiked down Alpine Creek and went up to the old Tunamah Trail (no easy trail to find) and hiked to Blue Canyon where I again scrutinized Coyote Pass. I had seen both sides carefullly and dicided that to cross is just adding effort. We went down the trail (as advertised, very long, boring and tedious).

In reference to hiking up S. Goddard Canyon I belive this. It is never worth hiking down - much less hiking up.

The reason I wrote, that writing this is almost fun is that to write, is for the reader. I write for you. If you appreciate this - it's to your credit. If not, an intelligent person can figure out why not. It not, nothing I (or anyone) can write will help you. Of course this is just my prespective.

The first picture is one of the crown creek water slides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cross Country on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Given your wife's level of experience, I would recommend getting into Blue Canyon via the pass above Hummingbird Lake. Getting there from the west is much easier and it is very straightforward easy class 2.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I agree with "giantbrookie". By far the easiest way into Blue Canyon is via Mantle Pass above Hummingbird Lake. I have a picture and description here: http://www.doylewdonehoo.com/nfkings/nfkr16.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are two routes over, but the slot pass I describe is an easy walk over pass to the lake beyond (as long as it is not choked with snow but in that case you could use the "other" pass and walk over on snow). There is an easy walk-up route north of Hummingbird Lake from Crown Basin I describe. I have talked to people who went beyond the lake beyond the pass and into Blue Canyon and said the route was easy. Like others I have long planned to visit the depths of Blue Canyon and beyond, one of the few places I have not visited but have gone to the edges of. I am sorry to hear that the lower trailed way into Blue Canyon is in such poor shape.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;