What is the weather doing in the next few days???

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bainhameen
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: What is the weather doing in the next few days???

Post by bainhameen »

WD: What is your source for the spot forecasts?

B-H
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Just wondering:
Does Parchers or the North lake
pack station ever post a weather report?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on the "tabluar forecast" and look ahead for 4 days.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

For the east side, my go-to for weather info, updated daily -www.easternsierraforecast.com
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

I, too, Had an 8 day solo trip planned for a loop through bear Lakes basin starting Sunday. Although this week is my only window of opportunity I am with Wandering Daisy on this one- I am postponing my departure until Tuesday after the worst of it is through. Not much fun starting out in the rain, been there done that enough, I'd rather do a shorter trip. I don't think there will be significant snow accumulation from this round but I have experienced enough snow this time of the year to make talus in the high passes slippery and dangerous, so I may re-think my route.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Still going per plan. Sunday night out of North Lake, over to French and back out on the 19th. Bishopweather.com was fun to watch today. Clouds started to build at 11am, then full on storm until about 6pm. Our plan is to get most of the hiking to our destinations out of the way in the morning, then fish in the storm, if necessary. Full rainsuits as well. Added extra clothes for the trip, but that's a given, based on what's happening with this retrograde low moving in from Nevada.

Nothing like a little adventure. I've given up trying to predict and work around this year's weather patterns.

Good luck everyone.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Just checked this morning- they increased ppt % Sunday up to 70% but have predicted an earlier end to the mess. Monday is looking better. I still plan on driving down Sunday and hiking a little ways Sunday afternoon. If it is pouring down rain when I get the trailhead I will just wait until next morning. They are also revised the low temps upward although I am not sure near to freezing rain is any better than snow! I wish best of luck to everyone going out. There should be interesting trip reports when we get back!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I just got back from my 9-day trip that I delayed 2 days due to the weather reports. The National Weather Service predictions were pretty much right on. First night at Charlotte Creek, I camped next to a group who had everything out drying- they got totally soaked over the weekend. I was glad I postponed my trip a few days. Every night except first and last (lower elevations) it froze hard (heavy frost on the inside of my single-wall tent - enough to make a snowball when I shook the tent out in the morning). Sept 11-14 stormed every day from 5PM to 9PM, started as light rain, heavy hail, heavy rain, heavy sleet, snow, and stars out by 9PM, everything frozen solid by midnight. I was camped from 11,000 - 11,600 feet these nights. There was an amazing lightning storm the 14th- (ranger said that they got 2 inches in one hour at Cedar Grove). I also got dumped on. On the 13th I was snowed upon mid-day going over the pass between 60 Lakes Basin and Gardnier Basin. All days except last two had bitter cold winds all day. Most days clouds built up by 10AM and it was nearly overcast until the dinner spoiling storms started. The advantage-- NO bugs! Overall, it was mainly just cold. Except when hiking, I wore everything I had nearly every day. In spite of the cold and afternoon storms, it was sunny every morning and early afternoon so that I could make each day's destination. Cleared the 17th -- amazing how wonderful it can be when not being chased by threatening black clouds! It was a pure joy to have blue skies again!

Yesterday, walking out through Paradise Valley, it was downright HOT! Heat after all that moisture- and you guessed it-- new hatch of darned mosquitoes!

Just goes to show you that in September- you must prepare for about anything nature can throw at you.

Trip report to follow when I get time. Just curious- did anyone else go out last week and how was the weather where you were?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just got back from a 9/12 - 9/19 trip over Piute pass, then on over Puppet Pass and back out the same way today.

Sunday night at North Lake, it rained on us starting about 7pm until 11pm. Thunder and lightning all around. On the way down near Mammoth on 395, there was an intense hailstorm. We came around a corner into a winter wonderland with two vehicles spun out in the hail. Had great hiking weather on 9/12 until about 4:30pm, when it started to rain. We stayed at Lower deso, because I didn't want to get stuck in a nasty hiking situation and late camp setup (intended destination was Tomahawk Lk). Tuesday we day fished Tomahawk in light snow and some rain. Not bad enough for rainpants.

After that, it was light rain every afternoon until 9/16 with Thunder and lightning all around us, but never on top of us. No heavy hail ever. It looked seriously worse North near Granite Park and West beyond French canyon.

I was pleased with the trip, and the weather for my area was as I expected. I actually preferred the rain/snow to the oppressive heat the last 3 days. The skeeters were also out when the storms left.

TR to follow, as I just got back now.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Glad everyone made it back safely!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien