Late Carson Iceberg TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Late Carson Iceberg TR

Post by TahoeJeff »

It was the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 23 and we dropped my truck off at the Wolf Creek TH and got our ride to Highland lakes for our start at the Gardner Meadows TH.

It was just about the whole damn family (we left the cats at home). The first part of our journey went fast and the view in Lower Gardner Meadow was great.

Just below that we passed the PCT at Wolf Creek Pass.

We followed Elder Creek down to its confluence with Wolf Creek. With about an hour of sun light left we stopped for the night at the intersection with the Murray Canyon trail. The younger members of our party were wore out.

The next day we tried some fishing but the water was a little shallow and no fish were seen or caught. As we were heading back to camp I remarked how there was no one else around when a group of guys came down the trail. I’m pretty sure it was GoChicagoBears! and his crew after reading his report.
On the way downstream to our next night’s camp site my son and I went off trail to check out an old cabin that showed on the map. My wife had the camera, so no pics. We did find it funny that while the door was chained/locked shut, the corrugated metal roof was ripped off in a spot allowing the weather and critter in to wreak havoc.
Just below some small waterfalls we reached an old cattle gate with the mountain we saw at the start of our trip still visible.

The other side of the gate was one of, if not the biggest Juniper trees I have ever seen.

A little further down we stopped at a likely looking camp site started by horse packers. The barn yard odor was the giveaway but the set up was ideal.

We dubbed this camp site “Cottonwoods under the Castle” due to the unusual rock formation on the other side of the creek.

After another day of carrying their food and some of the booze down the trail the dogs were ready again for nappy time.

We had a great meal of angel hair pasta, pesto and smoked Kokanee before it was time to watch the bat show. There were half a dozen flying around in acrobatic splendor with an appreciative audience.

Before packing up for the hike out my son tried a little more fishing. It was more productive here lower downstream and he was able to get a couple small Brookies on a silver KM.

The remainder of the hike was a quick jaunt over relatively flat terrain back to the truck. I estimated the mileage at about 11-12 miles total, with almost all of it downhill. There was a lot of water in the creek and the little feeders coming in. I would not recommend this trip as a fishing destination, but for a quick family getaway, it was perfect!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Late Carson Iceberg TR

Post by rightstar76 »

Carson Iceberg is a special place. No quotas. Just fill out the permit at the trailhead. It's one of the last few places where you can just show up spontaneously without having to plan in advance. There's not a lot of lakes but it's pretty just the same. Lots of trees. Glad you and your family had a great time. That's what it's all about.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Nice trip in the CI. Smoked kokanee on a backpacking trip...doesn't get any better.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

TahoeJeff,
Yep, that was me and my group walking down the trail that day! Glad you and your family had a good time. Amazed to see your son without a bug net while resting. We each had them on almost exclusively that weekend! They were awful every place we stopped.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report, Jeff. Looks like a great family trip, and smoked kokanee sounds delicious.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and wonderful family photos. I need to get my crew out more next year. (sigh)
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

Nice trip Jeff! Looks like you guys had a good time. It is a little scary to see you training another sports car to make us beer trucks looks bad. :D :rock: