Like riding a bike (sort of) -TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Like riding a bike (sort of) -TR

Post by Cross Country »

On Thur (9-7-11) I went with my good friend Gregg Kawczynski to Florence Lake. We camped at one of the primitive campsites below the lake. On Fri we took the ferry to hike to the San Juaquin River and fish some. I had been there 3 times previously, 2 time on BP trips to the Evolution area, and once with (saint) Diane to fish and hike just like now. We missed the 8:30, and took the 10:30 and were made to leave really late. We hike to the river and fished until 4:00. I caught several 7-9" fish, 2 tens and the largest fish I ever caught from the river (14 or 15") We headed back at 4:00 with some adventure.

Because of my 5 major surgeries in the past 2 years this was my first time in the Sierra in 3 years, the longest lapse of my adult life.

We took pics, but they won't download.
Gregg sent me an e mail pic. I can't put it here either.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Like riding a bike (sort of) -TR

Post by RooPhillip »

Congrats on your return to the sierra, pictures or not. :) Welcome back!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Thanks Roo
The river is just right for fishing now - best lure or fly or fly on a bubble. To fish the river you need to take the ferry (a boat ride) across Florence Lake $23 round trip. The first boat leaves at 8:30, then 10:30. The last boat returns at 5:00. On our trip it rained every day almost never very hard, just your typical afternoon showers. The rocks around the river were very slippery and I had the worst fall I ever remember. I hit the top of my back and the back of my head with incredible force. I feel very fortunate to have escaped unharmed. I stay vigilant for signs of a concussion.

The second day we hiked a short distance up Bear Creek. All three times I've been to Bear Diversion Dam up the 4WD road we encountered 1 or 2 small cars with very low clearance in the parking lot. Each time I found this very surprising.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

yes, sounds like a great place to reunite after your lapse. here's hoping no more surgeries for awhile.

eric
fresno, ca.
GKAZ
Topix Newbie

Post by GKAZ »

I've reduced the photos of XCountry (Tom) and my trip to Florence Lake; so hopefully, they will upload and can be viewed. I've organized them in the (reverse) progression of our trip. If there is still a problem viewing the photos, I'll try to post them on a website. Although I recently, went to Rock Creek with my son, it was good to return to backcountry. One lesson learned: don't use Vibram soled boots on wet granite...I'll try trail shoes next time.

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: Like riding a bike (sort of)

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Nice TR Tom! Good to see you getting out and about. Sorry to hear about the fall, but glad to hear your OK. I just returned from Bear Creek as well (9/15 - 9/17). It was a short fishing excursion with my son and brother. I love that place and have for years. I had to laugh at your road comment as I also always see a car or two at the Diversion Dam that just surprises the heck out of me of how they got it there. On my first visit in 1977 or so, there was a Mercedes up there????? And for those reading Toms post, dont believe him about the Upper San Joaquin :unibrow: . The fishing is absolutely terrible/horrible/awful :^o , especially this time of year :wink: :nod: :wink: All joking aside, good to see you out and about and I look forward to more reports.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Like riding a bike (sort of)

Post by bheiser1 »

Troutdog 59 wrote:I had to laugh at your road comment as I also always see a car or two at the Diversion Dam that just surprises the heck out of me of how they got it there. On my first visit in 1977 or so, there was a Mercedes up there?????
LOL, I had to laugh when I read you-guys reports too. I've camped at the Bear Diversion a few times, using it as a base for day hikes. I love that area and hope to backpack up Bear Creek one of these years. I've been up to the dam with a couple different Jeeps, no problem. But I recall coming out of there on one trip, and I passed a couple in a shiny new Audi on their way in. We both stopped, and they asked me, "is this road OK for us to make it up there?" I paused, checked out their $35K "all wheel drive" Audi, and suggested, "umm, maybe, but I wouldn't take that car up there" or some such. Needless to say, they thanked me and continued on their way. Not really sure why they even asked...

Nothing against Audis .. I think they're great ... for driving on snowy highways ... but no way I'd spend $35K on a *car* and drive it over those rocks up to Bear Diversion!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom

Great to see you out and about!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

THIS WARRANTS READING:

On Friday 9-8-11 Gregg and I went on the ferry across Florence Lake. We fished the SJ River and hiked back to the pick up spot. As we arrived four other men were arriving also to be taken across the lake. One of them gave me his card. He is W. Robert Richards, a real estate broker who lives in Martinez CA. He was on a backpacking trip with three other men.

One of the four men was 77 years old. The other three were over 80.

They had hiked that day from Colby Meadow.

His website is: http://www.4richardsrealty.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email:4richardsrealty@sbcglobal.net

For me that's amazing. Kudos to them.