Lillian Lake Loop next month

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lillian Lake Loop next month

Post by rlown »

Rob,

Are you still going? Looks like the storm might be out by Monday. Just wondering..

Russ

PS: rent a can..
RobertD
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by RobertD »

Yes, we are still going. Heading out tomorrow to camp at Clover meadow or somewhere close, and head out monday.

Packs are way over weight, at least for me, so its going to be a **** climb i fear.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

my pack is at 28lbs for the basics in the pack, 11lbs in the can for the food, and 10-15 lbs of other stuff we decide at the trailhead (think float tube, waders and rain pants). It'll still end up at 52, for some reason.. It always does for a week long trip.

If your dogs distract you when the lightning happens, you might consider leaving them back, and having someone care for them. That will help you focus on the task at hand.

Have a great trip! Don't worry too much about lightning, but be prepared for the rain at first.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Thank you for saying that... My pack is 47 and hers is 28, and we will be taking the doggies, they will just have to deal with it.

Should be a blast, and ill take lots of pics and post my first ever TR when I get back.

I hope the fishing is as good as everyone says, I am bring tackle and planning on a plate of garlic trout!
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

Did they ever come out?

Did the wife leave him?

Did the bears have a feast?

I was rangering up there that year, and I don't remember having to SAR anyone out then.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Dont know about the wife part, but the did make it out, they didn't get eaten by bears, and they posted a TR here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7039&p=49414#p49408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2011 was a wierd weather year. I hope they decided to keep trying.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

Troutdog 59 wrote:Dont know about the wife part, but the did make it out, they didn't get eaten by bears, and they posted a TR here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7039&p=49414#p49408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2011 was a wierd weather year. I hope they decided to keep trying.
You know, I look at their TR, and can't help but say that it was predictable. And they were very lucky. Most dogs go absolutely apesh*t when caught in a thunderstorm. They kept dry (but not warm).

In my experience, a trip like this is the last trip of their lives for first timers.

I wonder about being encouraging to people who want to do this.....first backpack, owning no gear, going out for 5 days, with the complication of dogs. Didn't check the weather, or know about it. Headed out to a predicted storm. Didn't know what that meant.

Brought the wrong sleeping bags, probably didn't know how to use them effectively.

Footwear that didn't fit, and no knowledge of how to deal with it. (ugh!)

All trivial stuff to experienced people, I'm sure.

I'm just concerned about the process, here, of encouraging such things, as opposed to encouraging a measured gradually increasing process of longer trips.

When I was stationed at Whitney Portal for two weeks, Several years back, doing the Altitude project, I was astonished by the hordes of people who clearly had no clue about backpacking---going out for their first. And last. Worse, was dragging the unfortunate spouse/SO.

This sort of thing probably creates a cadre of people ready to ABOLISH wilderness, in an attempt to save mankind (or revenge!)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not really sure what the message is here. No one really appreciates the "captain hindsight" approach. This was an old thread.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have to respectfully disagree Ken. While I understand your concern, not everyone is introduced to packing by an experienced friend or takes a course (NOLS) or guided hike (REI). I know I didn't. My brother and me got some gear, a couple of guide books (Sierra South, 100 No. Cal Hikes, etc), and headed out. Some of my early trips were wrought with similar problems. Heavy packs from hauling in way too much crap, blisters, less than ideal gear, and not really knowing how to use it correctly. The end result was I loved it and kept coming back and I would like to think I've gotten better at it, but who knows. I think thats the biggest thing. Some like it and others don't. I once did a overnight trip to the Treasure Lakes with my then girl friend and another couple. They had never backpacked, but loved the pics and my tales of adventure. We had great weather with few bugs, a gorgeous sunset, and even hauled in steaks and potatoes for dinner, Great trip, but the other couple never ventured out again. It just wasn't their thing. I learned of backpacking by reading trip reports in the magazines of the 60's and 70's. One of my favorite authors was Mike Hayden, who wrote amazing stories of his adventures with his wife Mary. Their first trip in the mid 60's made this one look like a cake walk.

All in all, I think these folks did OK. They used this site to glean info as many do and asked questions. Sure they made some mistakes (weather, 35 degree bags), but they got through it and in the end talked of his wife wanting to go again. They choose a pretty good area for a first pack trip as its well trailed with limited elevation ups and downs. I,m betting they did or will do a bit better next time.
Last edited by Troutdog 59 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Troutdog 59 wrote: I,m betting they did or will do a bit better next time.
That's right. That which doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Live and learn. I know I did.