What is the weather doing in the next few days???

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

What is the weather doing in the next few days???

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am packed and ready to go for 9 days. Planned on leaving tomorrow for route through Gardnier Lakes and Arrow Creek-Window Peak OR a loop from Courtright Res to all those lakes on the west side and back via Ionian Basin and Goddard Canyon, Hell for Sure Pass. Both routes involve camping at 11,000 feet at lakes. The NWS forecast says SNOW!! I am debating holding off until next week or going lower (Northern Yosemite loop). I am lucky that I do not have to go at an exact date, but am worried that waiting will only mean more snow later. Is our summer already over?!? Should I wait or go??
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What is the weather doing in the next few days???

Post by rlown »

A good question.. I leave on Saturday for North lake and beyond for 8 days.. NOAA says 30-40% chance of thunderstorms Mon-Wed and a low of 36 on some nights near Humphreys basin.

Still going.. I don't think summer is over yet. If it does snow, it'll probably be just a dusting. The high level low flew over Petaluma yesterday. Nice high Mares tails..
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Looks like lightning rods are in order. For photographers, it should be an interesting period. Less good if you were planning to be high/exposed. I think this is just an aberration, as the long-range forecast is back to sun late next week...
cg
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

From the Mammoth Weather Guru:

http://www.mammothweather.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Food for thought anyway, best of luck.

Rlown, might have ran into you but we are heading out on the 17th for Bear and possibly into French. Save a few trout for me and happy trails to all.
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Post by Talimon »

So I have a newbie question. I haven't done any backpacking in thunderstorm conditions before. Is it absolutely reckless of me to do a solo 3-day trip in the Hoover Wilderness this weekend? I've done a few solo trips before, but never with the risk of thunderstorms.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Being solo has nothing to do with it. If there is a 60% chance of rain and tunderstorms, you probably will get wet. Just do not go over high passes during the actual lightning. Hoover Wilderness is relatively low elevation. My plans had me going up to 11,500 feet- where the predictions included snow as well as lightning storms. They have been revising the cold temps up a bit- but are very uncertain about how much rain will fall. A stormy weekend means you may not get to your destinations each day- may have to hole-up and wait out a storm. Definitely take good rain gear and shelter. This is not the weekend to try to "cowboy camp".
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As someone who relishes going out when thunderstorms are present, you should
understand the dangers, and be prepared for some rainy weather.
In July during that monsoonal down pour, it rained over 5 hrs straight ( 5 min break)
and quite hard.
Here is a great article that will give all the info you need to know you when caught
in a thunderstorm while in the back country.
Click on this link to get informed: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... DEriBF5RgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go out with the understanding that lightning is unpredictable and nothing you do will
protect you 100%.
Lightning is beautiful, it is nature at its rawest! But, also one of the deadliest.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v23/p825274229-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

from the bishop weathercam at http://bishopweather.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, Humphreys basin looks a little weather-busy today. Believe it or not, the sky up there was completely clear this morning.

I think Herm is up there right now..
shoenberg3
Topix Novice

Post by shoenberg3 »

Also concerned about the weather. Going to minaret basin this sunday-tue.
Any idea how much precipitation there might be? Light rain wouldn't matter but heavy downpour might.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

You never know how much it is going to rain until it quits.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.