New Stoves from MSR

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

New Stoves from MSR

Post by hikin_jim »

MSR is putting out some new takes on some of it's most venerable stoves. New Stoves from MSR.

The MSR MicroRocket:

The MSR Whisperlite Universal:

They're also putting out an improved Windpro, the Windpro II (see blog post) which basically now comes with a canister stand so you can more easily run with the canister upside down for cold weather operation. The Windpro II's coupler also rotates, making it easier to invert the canister.

Supposedly, MSR is making some improvements to the Whisperlite Internationale, but I don't have any details.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Re: New Stoves from MSR

Post by hikin_jim »

I did some tests on the Whisperlite Universal on kerosene last night. Ran well although it didn't even come close to simmering on kerosene (not that I expected it to).

HJ
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks for the link. I may pick up one of those Micro Rockets.

I have a Whisperlite for group trips and a Cat Can stove I built, but thought a Pocket Rocket would be a good item to have for a quick 2 or 3-person trip—that Micro Rocket is a nice update.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:that Micro Rocket is a nice update.
That's my take on these three new stoves. Nothing earth shattering, but nice refinements on all three.

If I were considering a Pocket Rocket, I'd definitely hold out for the MicroRocket which is supposed to be available starting in January.

HJ
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Jim,
Any idea when the new WindPro (w/ tilt elbow and inverted plastic stand) will be hitting the stores?

BTW, Thanks for doing all this work for us on stoves. Glad you are here.
Any chance though you can include some mention of HST on your site too?
Reciprocity always appreciated.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

markskor wrote:Jim,
Any idea when the new WindPro (w/ tilt elbow and inverted plastic stand) will be hitting the stores?
Mark, according to MSR, the new stoves should be available in January. I get the impression that the schedule is still a little tentative.

I like very much the idea of the Windpro being refined such that the coupler rotates easily. However, the fuel line is so flexible that you can use them in inverted mode as they are now.

If I were thinking about getting one, I might hold off and wait for the new one. Then again, you might be able to get an old one for cheaper since there's a new version out.
markskor wrote:BTW, Thanks for doing all this work for us on stoves. Glad you are here.
Any chance though you can include some mention of HST on your site too?
Reciprocity always appreciated.
Mark
Reciprocity granted. :) Check my site later this evening (Pacific time).

HJ
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I flip the can on my windpro on those cold mornings, seems to work just fine although one needs to be careful not to flip the stove from the torque on the line.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Flux wrote:I flip the can on my windpro on those cold mornings, seems to work just fine although one needs to be careful not to flip the stove from the torque on the line.
Yes, that's a good technique. Should allow you to operate about 20 degrees Fahrenheit colder than in the upright position. Definitely gotta watch it that you don't flip the pot over! I usually press down on the pot with my hand when I flip the canister. It's also a good idea to turn the stove down low before you flip the canister.

HJ
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I like the way it gurgles and spits when you flip it over and are getting liquid fuel to the stove. That's a nice advantage to the remote canister stoves compared to the can top stoves.

I do think the windpro is a really good piece. Light, remote canister, & a nice big flame head.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Flux wrote:I do think the windpro is a really good piece. Light, remote canister, & a nice big flame head.
Actually, and this may sound weird but here goes, the Windpro is my favorite MSR stove -- and I've got a pretty good set of MSR stoves that I've picked up over the years. It's pretty light and compact. Yes, it's not as light and compact as something like a PocketRocket, but a Windpro will handle wind much better since you can use a full windscreen without blowing up the stove, and the Windpro will handle much bigger pots without dumping your dinner. I also of course like that the Windpro will operate in much colder temperatures than even an MSR Reactor (although the Reactor is faster and more windproof).

The Windpro is just a really good balance of characteristics plus it's got the convenience of gas.

HJ