Island Lake to 3 Three Sisters

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
savagebear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Island Lake to 3 Three Sisters

Post by savagebear »

I'm taking my wife on weekend backpacking trip #2 the weekend of the 16th-18th of this month. My plan is to go into Island Lake (place for me to enjoy some fishing) and then try and do a fun/not too tough climb up to one of the peaks. Not sure if there is a decent trail/route from Island to the peak of Three Sisters and what the difficulty is. It's only 600 feet gain so that wont be tough from that standpoint but I don't really want to beat my wife up in the rocks trying to get to the top. The peak at approx. 10,200 to the southeast looks to be a great and easy alternative if 3 sisters seems more than what I want to put the wife through. Looks like it would have good views also. My wife is in good shape and up for a challenge but I don't want to frustrate her with a scramble over rocks that would ruin potential for future trips.

Any info/advice?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Island Lake to 3 Three Sisters

Post by AlmostThere »

The Three Sisters will involve some amount of bouldering regardless. I think the gradual way, up the eastern end, would be the least boulder-y.

There is a description on Summit Post with a topo map of a cross country route from Cliff Lake. You could go up the inlet stream of Island and work your way up the granite going east then hook back up the ridge - longer than climbing straight up, but less class 3-ish.

I've seen boy scouts go up the face of the middle sister... it's not terribly technical.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

It's been a few years, but as I recall Three Sisters is a straightforward and easy scramble to the top. As a matter of fact, on the way up my buddy engaged in conversation with three people on their way down. One of the three introduced themselves as wife, husband and...grandmother (no young granny either).

Anyway, here are a few pics (we approached from Courtright).

The view of Island Lake with South Lake in view from the summit of Three Sisters:

View of the summit block (a walk up to the left of this image):

A view of Three Sisters from the S/E:

A few more images here: http://theradioroom.org/ThreeSisters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Odds are there is a use trail from Island Lake to Three Sisters; if not you're looking directly at the ridge line to the summit so the route cannot be missed.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Looks like AT and I replied at the same time; so...ditto what AT says.
savagebear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by savagebear »

Much appreciated gentlemen. I think I'll leave the descision to wifey but think we'll make a go of it.