TR McGee Pass to Lake of the Lone Indian

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
slowhiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR McGee Pass to Lake of the Lone Indian

Post by slowhiker »

Aug 28 to Sept 3 great weather and trail conditions for this out and back trip.
Aug 28 McGee Creek trail head to McGee Lake. Very few people, Mosquitoes at a 2
Aug 29 to Tully Lake. More snow than expected up McGee pass, yet doable with hiking poles. Had Tully Late to ourselves and the mosquitoes between 1 and 2.
Aug 30 to Lake of the Lone Indian. Trail was great, yet did not meet many on the JMT portion and at The Lake of the Lone Indian there was only one other part camped, very far away. This area was unexpectedly beautiful and is now one of my favorite spots. Mosquitoes at a 2.
Aug 31 Lay over at the lake and day hiked to Peter Pande Lake. A little difficult to find the side trail in the meadow at turnoff for Peter Pande. Yet after a few minutes of wandering, we were on our way and the trail to Peter Pande was easy to follow. The Peter Pande area was great and above the lake there were very few bugs. If there were any other hikers in the area we did not see them.
Sept 1 - 3 worked our way back to the trail head.
Usually we prefer to avoid out and backs, yet because for us the first couple of days of this hike were a little tiring, returning over this area from the opposite direction with a lighter pack and a little more energy, it was almost like seeing it for the first time. My wife took advantage of the still blooming wildflowers to get some amazing pictures. Overall, other than the JMT portion there
were very few people - - - it was sunny every day - - and the mosquitoes were very manageable.

Slowhiker
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR McGee Pass to Lake of the Lone Indian

Post by cgundersen »

slowhiker,
Yes, McGee seems to get fewer folks than I'd expect for the striking colors of the volcanic peaks and the relative abundance of places to go. It was a favorite when we had a dog and a friend and I were up there earlier in August and the memories were great. If you get a chance to provide a few photos, please post 'em!
Thanks,
cg
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

It is still popular. We were just up McGee Canyon 3 weeks ago. Parking lot was near full both when arriving and leaving. There were a few groups camped at Big McGee and passed others on the trail. Note they were up there Monday that is often a low day.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Lake of the lone Indian is truly a beautiful place (with, of course, Mike).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I just did an 8-day solo hike, out and back, from Duck Pass trailhead at Mammoth Lakes to Lake of the Lone Indian. (August 19-26) I'd never been there either (though I'd been to Chief Lake and the other Indian lakes). It was truly beautiful. I didn't see anyone at the lake for more than a day. It may have been because a portion of the Goodale Pass trail was blocked by a wide, steep wall of snow in gullies about a half mile from the pass where the trail descends to the Lake of the Lone Indian turnoff. I talked to hikers who said it was a little tricky. Perhaps that deterred some. I wasn't going to go out and back but since I was solo and going out on the Minnow Creek trail was more remote (though beautiful, it was tempting), I decided to go back the way I came. Virginia Lake is gorgeous, as is Pika. I decided to stay three nights at Lake of the Lone Indian, I liked it so much. Earthquake one night! That's only the second time I've felt one in the high Sierra.
croupier
Topix Novice

Post by croupier »

I plan on hiking out mcgee creek this weekend, and I was wondering how the trail conditions are? I'm not going in very far (not passing mcgee pass most likely), but I heard from the ranger that there are some potential creek crossings.

Can you give me any info on your experience on the trail from mcgee trailhead to mcgee lake?

Thanks!!
slowhiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by slowhiker »

Yes there are two crossings of note one is over a broken foot crossing and the other is over two large logs. For my wife and I (between us our average age is 59) the first crossing was no problem. The second crossing is a little more challenging because the logs are about 2.5 feet above the ground/stream and that just ment we had to lift ourselves up a little, we both handled it fine, we were just very slow crossing - - our hiking poles were also helpful. At this crossing I believe there is also a stock crossing and if there is, then you could use that and just get your feet and legs wet. Overall we were comfortable with these crossings, otherwise we would not have attempted them.

By the way the crossing are about 3 to 4 miles into the hike to Mcgee Lake. Overall we thought the trail conditions to Mcgee Lake were very good.