Mountain Bed

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
daddysgirl
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mountain Bed

Post by daddysgirl »

My father is a former Sierra Club leader and, of course, avid backpacker. He is now almost 88 years old. He has had both hips replaced and struggles to walk, which is the ultimate frustration. Happily, he is still 100% present and can still name most peaks and valleys from a photograph and will happily recant, in detail, many a trip including the one where after breaking his ankle in several places he was lowered down the cliff side in the plastic wash bucket to the helicopter landing site. I would love to take him on a road trip through the Sierras...or as close as you can get on a road. Any suggestions on how to get in to the mountains that he loves (wants to have his ashes scattered over the Sierras) and still sleep in a bed, would be GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mountain Bed

Post by dave54 »

Rent an RV.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
daddysgirl
Topix Newbie

Post by daddysgirl »

an obvious solution that I somehow missed. I like it! But now, what areas and what roads? I know, I know, get a map :)
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Visalia to Sequoia to kings to yosemite to mammoth lakes to reno would be a great roadtrip with endless options in between.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

An RV rental is a good idea. Apart from that, Tioga Pass Resort, Tuolumne "lodge" and White Wolf come to mind as places with a bed.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There are very few roads through the Sierra. 168 doesn't even go all the way through but is worthwhile - don't know that I would drive an RV over Kaiser Pass, but you can get to Huntington and walk some of the trails there, possibly drag a car behind the RV to go further out to Florence and Edison lakes. Go up the other side on 395 and visit North Lake, it's just as worthwhile.

Sonora Pass is beautiful, as are Ebbetts and Carson. Tioga is without equal. Tehachapi isn't so scenic but taking off up into the Forks of the Kern and southern Sequoia NF is possible.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

One doesn't need an RV or a motel to have a pleasant bed surface to sleep on. I would suggest buying one of those cheap inflatable air beds, adding a pleasantly soft surface quilt, then have him try using that in the comfort of his own home. If he can do that, he'll be able to do that outdoors inside a tent or better during late season (no bugs) open to the night sky. Also will need to bring one of the cheap portable canvas chairs for sitting comfortably about a camp. Then you'll need to visit areas that you can set up your camp in the high country with good views right from camp that tends to be limited these days. The small campground beside Ellery Lake is one:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... Campground" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are fine high country places to disperse camp along SR108 in the Sonora Pass area. In mid to late September public campgrounds along Bishop Creek offer an excellent experience as well as wonderful early fall aspen color. Also from late September through early October cabins at:

http://parchersresort.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daddysgirl
Topix Newbie

Post by daddysgirl »

I am following all the links and checking out the suggested options. Thank you SO much for all the tips and info!! I am very happy to have stumbled upon this site.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I should elaborate on the RV option.

The larger the RV, the more comfortable he will be, with a full sized bed, onboard conventional toilet, etc (mine has a queen sized bed, full tub/shower, sofa, full kitchen). The downside is the larger RVs will not be able to navigate all the back roads. And his access/egress may be a factor. They all have a fold out step to get in the door, but it may be a high narrow step. They are also a large vehicle to drive -- more like a bus than a full sized pickup. You will need some practice before hitting the road 'for real', or find an experienced friend willing to be a chaffeur. Go to a RV dealer or RV show and look at the variety of rigs and options and you will a better idea of what to rent.

I suggest visiting some of the RV websites. He may enjoy what RVers call 'boondocking' -- dispersed camping outside a designated campground, using the unit's self-contained ability to stay in one spot for several nights, and use a second vehicle to day-trip the local area.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

A few high country lodges:
Tioga Pass Resort
Rock Creek Lodge
Sorensen's
Parcher's Resort
Kennedy Meadows Resort (the one on the way to Sonora Pass)
Convict Lake